Gifts for guitarists

Thread: Problem with LUKE tuning stability, E-string and tremolo

User Info Menu

Problem with LUKE tuning stability, E-string and tremolo

Few days ago I got my LUKE. Although the guitar is great I have three problems/questions:

1) low E
    Even when I play the low-E string softly (open), the note goes sharp and after approx. 0,5-1 seconds flat to E again. With that, playing open E-chord sounds really awful. Is that due to the floating tremolo?

2) tuning stability
    Even with no tremolo usage, some strings are always out-of-tune after a few minutes of play. I have to retune sometimes up and sometimes down.
    I have stretched already all strings, but the problem still exists.

3) tremolo float
    I went to the local dealer, who said that the tremolo probably has to much float. By pulling the tremolo, the G-string goes up close to 4 steps, instead of three. He recommended to use another string and get rid of the float.

Thanks for any hints,
    Martin

User Info Menu

you may want contact customer service

User Info Menu

as always, contact CS. they are great!
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

It seems that most problems are due to poor intonation, probably caused during transportation from US to Germany.

But still, I have no idea why the tuning is so unstable and fragile. Any ideas what I could try?

User Info Menu

In my experience their are very few guitars don't need some sort of fine tuning and tweaking, I had to very gently polish the nut slots on my Luke with some 2000 grade wet and dry when I got it, now the tuning is very stable, take it to a good tech and he should be able to sort it out easily.. also nut sauce is a very good lubricant and helps a lot..

User Info Menu

I was having the same problem 1 year ago!

Read this Thread:

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9584

User Info Menu

Make sure you have a new set of quality strings on there and I agree w/gerry, the nut may need some tweaking. I have played Luke's and even w/the floating trem, I never noticed any real tuning issues. Personally, I dont like the floating trem and re-adjusting the trem so that it sits on the top would help your tuning especially if you like to do a lot of bending. Its all preference.
    Joe F. aka Fusionman

2012 Fender American Special Tele-Sunburst
    2007 EBMM JP6-Mystic Dream w/piezo, matching headstock, dot inlays (thanks Pete D)
    2005 Parker Nitefly-Trans red
    2002 EBMM Axis Sport-Trans gold, hum/hum, matching headstock, trem (thanks Mike Z)
    1984 custom Parts-O-Caster-Black
    1976 custom Gibson 335-Sunburst
    NO ACOUSTICS; and I like it that way
    A bunch of heavy amps and easily replaceable effects

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christer View Post
    I was having the same problem 1 year ago!

Read this Thread:

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9584
    so what was the problem after sending the guitar to the guitar repair ?
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

PROBLEM IS SOLVED !!!!!!!!!

I went to the next local guitar dealer. After “intensively working” with the tremolo the technician came to the conclusion that the low E-string is the problem. For some reasons the low E-string was absolutely unstable in its tuning causing the whole guitar to loose its tuning.
    He continued with deep-dives and pull-ups of the tremolo and stretched the low E-string for 5 minutes and from one second to the other -like magic- the tuning was absolutely stable.

Thanks,
    Martin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Martin M View Post
    PROBLEM IS SOLVED !!!!!!!!!

I went to the next local guitar dealer. After “intensively working” with the tremolo the technician came to the conclusion that the low E-string is the problem. For some reasons the low E-string was absolutely unstable in its tuning causing the whole guitar to loose its tuning.
    He continued with deep-dives and pull-ups of the tremolo and stretched the low E-string for 5 minutes and from one second to the other -like magic- the tuning was absolutely stable.

Thanks,
    Martin

It's amazing what a little string stretching can do for tuning stability. I give my B a good 20 minute workout.

User Info Menu

Rob! Love your quote... I have owned an EBMM AL MM90 for about 90 minutes. �� It’s the 4th EBMM I’ve owned(2 of the original SUB1’s, and a Luke , and I really like it. Got a deal($1300 CDN) on a 2014. ��
    2015 EBMM Luke

User Info Menu

Good to hear this was solved. I have a Luke III and I abuse the trem and it always comes back for more!

User Info Menu

Of all the non-Floyd Roses I've owned, Luke is one of the most tuning-stable, but yes you need good strings with frequent replacement as well as nut lubrication.