Strap Blocks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JP Necks (or other piezo equipped guitars?)

User Info Menu

JP Necks (or other piezo equipped guitars?)

Hi everyone,

I'd really like to pick up a JP again but my tastes in necks has changed a lot over the last few years and I like chunky necks. I know none of the JPs are what I would call chunky, but do any have something a little thicker or rounder than the original jp6?

Or perhaps any suggestions for another model with piezo and a bit beefier neck?

Thanks all!!!!

Jason

User Info Menu

There is no JP model with a really beefy neck... I believe the beefier neck of the JP line is the Majesty. Not because the neck is actually thicker, but rather because it's wider, so it feels chunkier in your hand. The original JP6 is rounder, though, more Strat-like; Majesty's feels flatter at the back.

As for other brands, there are some PRS Custom 24 models with piezo, surely with beefy necks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vadauco View Post
    There is no JP model with a really beefy neck... I believe the beefier neck of the JP line is the Majesty. Not because the neck is actually thicker, but rather because it's wider, so it feels chunkier in your hand. The original JP6 is rounder, though, more Strat-like; Majesty's feels flatter at the back.

As for other brands, there are some PRS Custom 24 models with piezo, surely with beefy necks.
    Gotcha - Good advice but I'm definitely looking t stick with EBMM on this! Maybe my search for a Luke with Piezo or Silhouette will begin!

User Info Menu

The believe that the Steve Morse's have a chunckier neck, but they lack piezo I do believe. I've never heard anyone that owns a Morse say anything bad about them.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

That's because we deal with anyone that talks trash about the SM neck profile. We have people, y'know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    that's because we deal with anyone that talks trash about the sm neck profile. We have people, y'know.
    hahahahahahahahahaha

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jptortor View Post
    Maybe my search for a Luke with Piezo or Silhouette will begin!
    I played a Luke once, and the neck felt rather thin & narrow to me. I don't know about the Silhouette though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vadauco View Post
    I played a Luke once, and the neck felt rather thin & narrow to me. I don't know about the Silhouette though.
    Yeah, the Luke is thicker than a JP neck but I would still say it's pretty skinny.

User Info Menu

Silhouette is vintage Fender narrow nut width (1 5/8") and the neck thickness is a little thinner than a modern strat neck. 10" radius. It's feels bigger neck than the JP, yes, but it's medium slim in the grand scheme of things.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Axis SS neck is rounder, but narrower. It's light years away from Les Paul chunky, but a bit beefier than the JP models. They don't come piezo equipped anymore, but used ones with piezo come up from time to time.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

I'd look for a Silhouette w/ Piezo. They can be had used and would probably fit the bill.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

User Info Menu

I have a Silhouette Special with Piezo. I don't really use the piezo much any more and might sell or trade for the right deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluc View Post
    I have a Silhouette Special with Piezo. I don't really use the piezo much any more and might sell or trade for the right deal.
    I believe he was looking for a 24 fret guitar, the Silo Special is only 22 frets.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

If 22 frets is a possibility for you, you could also look at a reflex/GameChanger, a number of which have piezo. You also can find 20th Anniversary Silhouettes with piezo, which are 24 fret. I find the reflex to be a slightly larger neck profile than the silo, but they're not drastically different from one another.
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo