The Vault

Thread: Need help with pick up selection for AXSS

User Info Menu

Need help with pick up selection for AXSS

I could use some help here, as in input and opinion.

I really miss the sound of my JP6 with the DiMarzio Liquifier and Crunch Lab pickups, My rig sounded absolutely fantastic with those pickups and I could just roll of the volume and get cleaned up nicely and still sonically make an impact all be it clean and clear. I know what the logical choice is , get a JP6 or any EBMM…kids in college so unfortunately no….

I am going to swap out pickups on my AXSS. I could order the exact same Liquifier and Crunch Lab OR would you recommend the Sonic Ecstasy and Dark Matter OR any other Dimarzio combo for my AXSS

Thanks for your input !!

Need help with pick up selection for AXSS-ebmm-axis-ss-black-sparkle-jpgNeed help with pick up selection for AXSS-ebmm-axis-ss-black-sparkle-jpg
    Last edited by click track; 10-27-2019 at 04:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I love the Axis pickups and would never swap, so I don't know how much help I'm going to be.

The CL in the bridge is actually my least favorite thing about my JP. I've never been able to dial it in to a sound I really like. I prefer the Illuminators and have considered swapping. I haven't really compared with any of the newer JP pickups, but I'd probably go with Illuminators. Of course, if you really like the sound of the CL/LF, take my advice with a grain of salt. Since both are basswood bodies, I wouldn't think there would be a massive sonic difference between having them in the Axis or JP, though there will probably be some difference.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

I have a pair of orig JP6 PUs I'm about to ask around if I could trade for an Axis PU, in case you're interested.

I love 'em, I just have an extra set.
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.