The Vault

Thread: 2000 Axis Sport with roasted neck?

User Info Menu

2000 Axis Sport with roasted neck?

Hi
    I am working on potentially buying a 2000 Axis Sport. The seller claims it has a roasted maple neck. It looks kinda like that could be the case.

Did Ernie Ball roast maple necks back in 2000? I just want to double-check.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Monte

User Info Menu

They did not, it's probably a very birdseye neck, the early models did had some great necks.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

I didn't think so but I didn't want to insult the seller. The neck is more flamey than birdseye and has that darker appearance like roasted.

Thank you for confirming for me.

Much appreciated
    Monte

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Hi Monte,
    We did not offer roasted maple necks in 2000. The first roasted maple necks would have been offered around 2011 or 2012.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Hi Monte,
    We did not offer roasted maple necks in 2000. The first roasted maple necks would have been offered around 2011 or 2012.
    Thank you

User Info Menu

If you pull the trigger on it post pics of it!

JP6 Pearl Red.
    JP6 BFR Bahama Blue.
    "Music Man guitars = the world's best."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monte View Post
    I didn't think so but I didn't want to insult the seller. The neck is more flamey than birdseye and has that darker appearance like roasted.

Thank you for confirming for me.

Much appreciated
    Monte
    Sounds like it just has to be cleaned. Is it a nice one? Axis Sports are great guitars!!! I was just eyeing one on Reverb, but didn't have the $$ and really don't need a 5th guitar.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Those unfinished necks tend to darken over the years. My '07 Axis has darkened quite a bit, though not enough to quite look roasted. I saw a couple of Sports pop up on Reverb last night at decent prices, though one of them was so nasty I would have needed gloves and a tetanus shot to handle it. Wipe those necks down every now and then people.

Seller also said it was a 1987 model, so there must have been a time machine involved ...
    Last edited by spychocyco; 10-30-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

I have a birds eye neck on my 2000 AXSS and it is gorgeous ! Plays very
    ,very nice, I will try to post a pic later of the back of the neck

User Info Menu

My Axis Sport has a maple neck/rosewood fretboard. The necks on these are sealed with an oil finish, and they develop some amazing coloring as they age. Mine looks like a vintage tint, when really it’s been played for 18 years and has soaked up oil and sweat.
    SBMM Cutlass - Seafoam Green
    SBMM Cutlass - Antique White
    SBMM JV60T - Toluca Lake Blue
    EBMM Axis Sport - Glacier Blue Sparkle