Mariposa Green
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Don't Even Know Who I Am Anymore

User Info Menu

I Don't Even Know Who I Am Anymore

Ahem. I guess some of you might know me from THE REAL FORUM aka The Bass Side, where I hang out and do the moderator gig. Some of you may even know that I actually play bass and have a veritable herd of Music Man basses, including a Bongo or two. For years, I refused to even acknowledge that there even WAS a guitar forum, but I guess thatís all over now.

Iím a little ashamed to be over here, really.

Nonetheless, while I donít mind buying relatively expensive basses, I have always kind of cheaped out on guitars becauseÖ.I guess I didnít care very much. A MIM Strat was fine with me because they donít cost much and they do sound a lot like a guitar most of the time. Also, I am not really much of a guitar player (some might say the same about my bass playing) but I have to keep them around because I have a little studio (ďThe Scream ParlourĒ) where I write and record my ideas of what music should sound like. I always prefer that a real guitar player do the guitar parts but sometimes none are available or they want to use that danged Yngsteen Walware tone and I can't do that, so I end up playing mostly rhythm parts myself. Mostly.

This can be upsetting to some people, but I canít seem to stop.

This year has seen some changes in my life and theyíre not all centered around womenís underwear. But letís not get into that. Letís just say that I had some instruments (mostly not EBMM) that were not being played and some had been sitting in cases in The Bass Closet for a very long time. I decided to see if I could turn 3 or 4 of these into money and get myself some decent instruments aside from my fabulous basses. This worked out reasonably well.

So this year, I got myself a Taylor 614 and that solved every issue Iíve ever had with acoustic guitars, much to the chagrin of my 70s-era Yamaha. ďTake that, you ugly creatureĒ, I said, and the pickguard promptly fell off.

But electric guitarsÖ..well, the MIM Strat was workable and somehow I also ended up with a Telecaster, too, which I guess is the law here in Texas. But I wasnít entirely happy with either of those.
    Based almost entirely on availability according to Dargin, I finally spent some actual money and got myself a Valentine. It is now Ė to me, at least Ė about 6 hours old. This is absolutely the finest electric guitar Iíve ever experienced. I have a photo so you can see it Ė itís all baby blue and pretty fine. I know you boys like your Lukes (this was tempting) and your Albert Lees and I first thought I wanted an AL but Iím satisfied, to say the very least, with this Valentine (BFR). Are many of you playing these or all you all too metal-headed over here?

If you havenít tried one, you need to remedy this situation. I am still figuring out why the knobs go not only around and around but also UP AND DOWN, which is absolutely cool but confusing for a man who puts flatwounds on all of his basses. I promise to not put flatwounds on the guitar, though, so donít send me hate mail.

Iím really looking forward to using this on some recordings! But I fear that the 20 or so tunes I have Ďfinishedí for the upcoming BOVINEHOST solo record may have to have all the guitar parts replaced.

Anyway, get a Valentine, eh?

Jack

I Don't Even Know Who I Am Anymore-valentine-jpg

User Info Menu

Dear Jack,

Welcome to the skinny string side of life. That guitar is BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Congratulations, enjoy!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

Gorgeous axe!!! Congratulations!!!

User Info Menu

Awesome guitar, and most importantly welcome to the "dark side" of the forums were glad to have you.

JP6 Pearl Red.
    JP6 BFR Bahama Blue.
    "Music Man guitars = the world's best."

User Info Menu

Hi Jack! I can say that because we aren't on an airplane.

Congrats on the Valentine, those guitars always impress me!
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Congrats! Enjoy your time bonding with your new mistress.
    But be aware, it won't be long before you'll be looking for other volunteers to turn into money, because just like the basses, you can't have just one EBMM gittar...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Enjoyed the post - you'll love that Valentine (which is gorgeous, btw). My Valentines have suffered some neglect of late, ever since I received my first S-type guitar (the Hunter Hayes Cutlass) but I do love the tones and feel of the Valentine. I could get by in life with only that neck pickup if I had to.

Do make sure you get the film off the pickup covers...
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Awesome post Jack!!! And welcome to the good side.
    Congrats on your Valentine. It's a beauty.
    lol@ women's underwear.
    "If you bend a string and you don't make a face; it's like eating food without tasting it." - Paul Gilbert

black sugar Albert Lee SSS - piezo
    25th Anniversary
    Dargie Delight 1 Silhouette HSH

User Info Menu

Welcome and Congrats on such an inspiring guitar !!!!

User Info Menu

WOW Jack, congrats man, that's a great looking Valentine!!!!!

And Welcome to the skinny string side,

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Don't worry Jack a support pack has been dispatched to your location to support your transition to the correct path of life - that is stunning!
    86934 - This EVH was completed on August 29th, 1995. Trans Red.
    G50887 - This Albert Lee HH was completed on August 13th, 2010. 1 off- Lake Placid Blue
    N00363 - This Armada was completed on September 27th, 2013. Mint Green
    G47271 - This 25th Anniversary HH was completed on April 27th, 2009. Venetian Redburst

User Info Menu

Congrats Jack!
    EBMMless?

User Info Menu

I feel the same but oppisite just bought a used mim jazz bass. Lol
    GUITARS
    Blueberry Luke III HH BFR
    Bahama Luke 2 BFR
    Shadow gold luke III BFR

User Info Menu

That is some funny s*it I tell you what. I was primarily a bass player for a long time. And I always enjoyed your involvement on the bass side of things. I had my share of nice EBMM basses but just never bonded with them which makes me sad. But, I play a lot of guitar these days and and the Axis Sport and Super Sport are everything to me so it's fun to see you on both sides of the street! It's a damned fine neighborhood over here. Enjoy.
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Kandy Lime w/ Maple Neck