Strap Blocks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any suggestions please guys?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie M View Post
    Mainly standard rock and blues, I still want the Humbucker sound but also something a bit different so I think the Valentine ticks the boxes.
    Like others are saying, it's just a humbucker in the neck. Kind of Tele Custom-like. That's certainly different though, and not bad. It works for Keith.

I still think your Axis is awesome, but I see that you're selling it. So I suppose I shouldn't mention it again. If I wanted another humbucker equipped guitar, but not the Axis, I'd go Stingray or Armada, personally (although the pups in either are a bit vintage and aren't as hot as the Dimarzios, afaik).

User Info Menu

I have the boost set on my Valentine to give me a good humbucker sound on the bridge position. Just hit the boost and roll down the tone knob a bit = great humbucker sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    You know what I'm gonna say...

I call dibs on that AL. That’s right up my alley.

User Info Menu

I will say if I had to choose just one MM to keep it’d be my Luke III HH.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlbasscatcher View Post
    I will say if I had to choose just one MM to keep it’d be my Luke III HH.
    I'd just tell you to keep your Axis SS too (looks like a semi-hollow in your avatar?).

User Info Menu

I don't plan on getting rid on any of them. That ASS in my avatar is my latest.

User Info Menu

I don't plan on getting rid on any of them. That ASS in my avatar is my latest.
    Nice guitar. Yeah, I didn't take you seriously or anything. Most people wouldn't limit themselves to one guitar (although I myself am silly enough to try from time to time).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Like others are saying, it's just a humbucker in the neck. Kind of Tele Custom-like. That's certainly different though, and not bad. It works for Keith.

I still think your Axis is awesome, but I see that you're selling it. So I suppose I shouldn't mention it again. If I wanted another humbucker equipped guitar, but not the Axis, I'd go Stingray or Armada, personally (although the pups in either are a bit vintage and aren't as hot as the Dimarzios, afaik).
    I have come to my senses and I am no longer selling my Axis, as you say they are great guitars.
    "What is understood need not be discussed"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie M View Post
    I have come to my senses and I am no longer selling my Axis, as you say they are great guitars.
    Nice. But I do wish you luck on finding another axe. I just thought it'd be a shame if that one went.

User Info Menu

Get the Cutlass so you’re single coil tones are covered.
    Then get a Valentine for some different tones.
    Then get a ...
    Then get a ...
    Then get a ...
    I second this.
    I have an AS MM90 (replaced the bridge with a true humbucker), and for versatility sake, just ordered a Cutlass to cover the singlecoil tones (tracking info says NGD is Tuesday!).

I briefly considered an Armada (something set neck and the body size could allow for ::gasp:: an after market bigsby) or a SSS Albert Lee (couldn't find any used).

The roasted maple necks on the Luke 3s are to die for too though...

You really can't go wrong.
    EBMM 1998 Axis Sport
    EBMM 2016 Cutlass

"The road to hell is paved with adverbs." Stephen King

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wesman11483 View Post
    I second this.
    I have an AS MM90 (replaced the bridge with a true humbucker), and for versatility sake, just ordered a Cutlass to cover the singlecoil tones (tracking info says NGD is Tuesday!).

I briefly considered an Armada (something set neck and the body size could allow for ::gasp:: an after market bigsby) or a SSS Albert Lee (couldn't find any used).

The roasted maple necks on the Luke 3s are to die for too though...

You really can't go wrong.
    I do love the Luke 3s. Mine was stolen 3 years ago and as much as I loved it I would like to try something different now. The Valentine with its pup options I think will fit the bill and the natural finish with that neck looks killer. Thanks again all for you input.
    "What is understood need not be discussed"