Gifts for guitarists
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions please guys?

User Info Menu

Any suggestions please guys?

Hi all. I have GAS once again and I am looking for my next Ball. Any recommendations as to what to try? The Valentine looks tempting I have to say. I am not interested in the JP line though. Thanks and I already have an ASS.
    "What is understood need not be discussed"

User Info Menu

Honestly, I currently have no need for another single coil guitar so I'm spending silly amount of time thinking about a Mariposa, either white/gold or pueblo pink one, or the HH Albert Lee in powder blue. Just, wow!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie M View Post
    Hi all. I have GAS once again and I am looking for my next Ball. Any recommendations as to what to try? The Valentine looks tempting I have to say. I am not interested in the JP line though. Thanks and I already have an ASS.
    It depends what your looking for, something different I would assume?? What type of sound are you looking for?

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

You know what I'm gonna say...

Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

The Valentine is great. So is the Cutlass RS.
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Get the Cutlass so you’re single coil tones are covered.
    Then get a Valentine for some different tones.
    Then get a ...
    Then get a ...
    Then get a ...

User Info Menu

My ability to recommend guitars is now useless since you said you're not interested in Jp's .

But in all seriousness i'd give the Cutlass a shot, especially the RS models those necks are just a work of art.

JP6 Pearl Red.
    JP6 BFR Bahama Blue.
    "Music Man guitars = the world's best."

User Info Menu

Such a tough question cos there are no bad choices. How about a Kensrue Stingray for a left field choice?
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS HSS - Firemist Silver
    Cutlass Hunter Hayes - Lake Tahoe Blue
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

I'm just going to go against the grain and say you already have an awesome guitar. Axis SS and Reflex are some of the best. But that's just my 2c. At least I don't miss much with one. Not that I don't get GAS occasionally (I wouldn't complain if I had a Cutlass or Armada), but not enough to really cave in.

I must be the worst Ernie Ball customer on the forum.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your input guys. its a tough one but I am trying a Valentine at the weekend, the pup options look interesting. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I will say, I loved my valentine, but the neck on mine was too thick for my tiny man-child hands. Really hampered my cowboy chord playing style. I intend on getting another later on - a used one in natural, and having my luthier friend re-shape the neck to match my Hunter Hayes
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS HSS - Firemist Silver
    Cutlass Hunter Hayes - Lake Tahoe Blue
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

What kind of music do you play? Are you looking for something similar to the ASS, or did you want to maybe get something with more of a single coil sound? There are lots of choices out there.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    What kind of music do you play? Are you looking for something similar to the ASS, or did you want to maybe get something with more of a single coil sound? There are lots of choices out there.
    Mainly standard rock and blues, I still want the Humbucker sound but also something a bit different so I think the Valentine ticks the boxes.

User Info Menu

Something HSS might tick the boxes, too. Cutlass HSS, Luke III HSS, Silhouette Special HSS, etc.

The Luke III is pretty sick. Bonus points if you can find one with larger frets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie M View Post
    Mainly standard rock and blues, I still want the Humbucker sound but also something a bit different so I think the Valentine ticks the boxes.
    I just worry about how the bridge single coil will work with me. I know that style of guitar: the tele with the neck 'bucker, and I just never bond with it. If I'm gonna have a guitar with singles and buckers, it's gotta have a bridge bucker.

I've got a Luke III SSH and a Steve Morse, which is HSSH, and I LOVE the versatility of both.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck