VPJR Tuner Launch

Thread: Silo Special Appreciation Day

User Info Menu

Silo Special Appreciation Day

I've been gassing for a specific maker boutique guitar (name withheld) for decades. There's a used HSS one for sale that I can actually afford, though it still ain't cheap.

But:

I bought a Silo Special about 5 or so years ago and have gotten very, very attached to it. To the point where I don't feel the need to get another HSS, at all.

The one that's for sale is a beaut and I'm sure it sounds and plays wonderfully. But MusicMan makes some fantastic guitars. Kudos!
    G.A.S. = Git A Sound

User Info Menu

I too fell in love with my Silo Special when I got it used in 2011. My old strat that I gigged with for nearly a decade was immediatley retired and I don't think I ever even compared the two guitars side-by-side. The Silo Special took over that completely that quickly!

Since then I've added another HSS in the form of a Cutlass RS. I really wanted another Silhouette but the roasted maple neck and stainless frets were too good to pass up. I have DiMarzio are single coils in the Silhouette Special, which are brighter than Cutlass and I love both equally for their own unique feel and vibe.

My next guitar will not be HSS though. I'm pretty sure of that!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Same experience with my Strat. Barely play it anymore. When I do it’s because that’s my only ax with a maple board and all singles. But the Special is my go to in a very big way.

My other MM is a ‘94 Silhouette hardtail. Got it used. Custom order. Translucent butterscotch with a Tele style pickguard. Barden’s Danny Gatton pickups. Wonderful guitar.

Got my curiosity up on that Cutlass. I’ll check them out.
    G.A.S. = Git A Sound