The Vault

Thread: Roasted neck maintenance

User Info Menu

Roasted neck maintenance

I know the standard oil/way finished necks need to have the oil, etc... applied occasionally. Does this need to happen on a roasted neck as well?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

If it is oiled, then you treat it like any other EBMM oiled neck with the "hand rubbed gunstock oil and wax blend".

What kind of guitar is this on? If it has binding on the neck, it will have a satin poly finish on the back.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Thanks. I have been looking at one of the Albert Lee models, but the idea of having to reapply the finish occasionally turns me off. I realize it isn't a big deal, but it is just another thing that adds to my to do list.

Looks like I will have to check out the models with binding as that is much more my speed.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_W View Post
    Thanks. I have been looking at one of the Albert Lee models, but the idea of having to reapply the finish occasionally turns me off. I realize it isn't a big deal, but it is just another thing that adds to my to do list.

Looks like I will have to check out the models with binding as that is much more my speed.

Thanks!
    It may be recommended to reapply the oil/wax, but it's certainly not required. We've had EBMM from the 1990s come through the repair side of our shop that have never had the treatment reapplied and they are just fine.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

To me the oil (which really is more like a lacquer seal when dried) seals the neck and helps keep the moisture out. EBMM necks being raw wood (unlike other mfg necks are sealed with poly or nitro) are more sensitive to humidity changes, so sealing them with oil (and waxing is a nice touch but not needed) is always a good idea. That's been my experience.
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_W View Post

Thanks!
    Less than five minute job, and it's hard to beat the unfinished neck. The thin satin finish is nice, too, though.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com