The Vault

Thread: Guitar knobs & numbers

User Info Menu

Question Guitar knobs & numbers

My daughter likes her St Vincent, but she doesn't like the lack of numbers. She can adjust by ear, but she likes to track what she uses. Even though there's a ridge line on the top, it can be hard to see in some settings.

She likes the shape of the knobs. I can't find anything close to that shape with numbers or marks.

So, any suggestions? Even minimal marks would be good. I don't think the shoulder of the knobs are wide enough for using a rub off or wet slide decal.

User Info Menu

I guess you could use a tiny stencil for numbers...maybe? I'll leave it to you whether you trust yourselves for such a project. It could be fun.

Personally, I'd just get used to the feel of them and leave it alone. The good thing is that they have a triangle shape, so maybe your daughter could just get used to adjustments by the direction of the triangle points. It's still better than, say, a Telecaster with it's round, metal knobs.

User Info Menu

IMO you just need a visual Datum point - use a white paint to mark those great looking knobs. I think looking down gives you assurance that you have the settings where you think that they need to be - in reality, when I play live I'll go by feel and response through the amp.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

Isn't 10 the only setting you need?

I'd just mark one of the triangle points with a little dash of paint for reference, then again, I never pay attention to the numbers even on my guitars that have them, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

I was thinking of using a very light color, just enough. Just marking one triangle point might indeed do the trick. She can see where that is. Plus, I think seeing where one point on the knob is turned is easier than aligning numbers or marks with a point that's not there.

I think that's what they tried to do with the knob--there's a ridge on the top of the knob that points to one (and only one) triangle point. I've shown her that, but she's says it's not something she can see at a glance.

I have to say that I've come to really like the guitar. When she takes it with her to college, I might have to get one of my own.

User Info Menu

It is. Great guitar - wouldn’t let mine go
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...d-may-28-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbeason View Post
    I was thinking of using a very light color, just enough. Just marking one triangle point might indeed do the trick. She can see where that is. Plus, I think seeing where one point on the knob is turned is easier than aligning numbers or marks with a point that's not there.

I think that's what they tried to do with the knob--there's a ridge on the top of the knob that points to one (and only one) triangle point. I've shown her that, but she's says it's not something she can see at a glance.

I have to say that I've come to really like the guitar. When she takes it with her to college, I might have to get one of my own.
    You're one awesome dad if you got it for her. She's going to be the coolest kid at that college (although I'm sure for more than just this too ).

User Info Menu

Put some Cutlass knobs on it.