New banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Man Amps

User Info Menu

Smile Music Man Amps

The last few years I was seeing the Music Man amps at the winter Namm Show at the Ernie Ball booth. These amps were being used by artists on the Ernie Ball stage. I have been asking for the last few years when these amps will be available for purchase, since they are out on display and being used. Answers I have gotten from the Ernie Ball staff is, they are not available at this time. When will these amps be ready for purchase? I have a Music Man 100 RD head and bottom and I love that amp. I bought it from a Fender rep years ago and it was hardly used, except as a demo. What a great product Ernie Ball amps were. Please bring these amps back, so I can purchase another one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    The last few years I was seeing the Music Man amps at the winter Namm Show at the Ernie Ball booth. These amps were being used by artists on the Ernie Ball stage. I have been asking for the last few years when these amps will be available for purchase, since they are out on display and being used. Answers I have gotten from the Ernie Ball staff is, they are not available at this time. When will these amps be ready for purchase? I have a Music Man 100 RD head and bottom and I love that amp. I bought it from a Fender rep years ago and it was hardly used, except as a demo. What a great product Ernie Ball amps were. Please bring these amps back, so I can purchase another one.
    I've noticed some occasionally show up online, but are being sold out of Eurozone countries. I've yet to see one come out in the US.

I've never actually played one. What's great about them? Is it clean headroom.. like a Twin?

Funnily, I've heard of some famous artists still happy with their old ones, much like you. The biggest name that surprised me is Joan Jett. Apparently she still records with her HD 130 (I think) she's had for years.

User Info Menu

These amps are very similar to a Fender twin, but better sounding and built, in my opinion. I am hoping these amps will be available in the US soon. I am going to ask Sterling Ball or one of his sons to give me a straight answer if these amps will be available for us to purchase at Namm next month. I really want a new one, and not have to go to another brand to satisfy my amp needs, which I have been doing for these past years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    These amps are very similar to a Fender twin, but better sounding and built, in my opinion. I am hoping these amps will be available in the US soon. I am going to ask Sterling Ball or one of his sons to give me a straight answer if these amps will be available for us to purchase at Namm next month. I really want a new one, and not have to go to another brand to satisfy my amp needs, which I have been doing for these past years.
    I seem to remember Sterling saying he was having a hard time finding a distributer for the amps in the US and he had moved on to the next project... or something like that. There is a thread or comment in a thread about it somewhere in the forum... but I don't remember how long ago it was. I don't believe we will see them making a comeback anytime soon.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black HH Albert Lee (DOB 12.01.2009)
    Honey Roasted Axis - Quilt (DOB 09.20.2012)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 02.03.2014)

User Info Menu

Thanks for your answer. It is a shame a good product like the Music Man amps can not get a distributer in the US to sell these. Guitar Center would be perfect for these amps.

User Info Menu

If I recall correctly, Guitar Center said no to them.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    If I recall correctly, Guitar Center said no to them.
    Guitar Center higher ups don't seem to be playing with a full deck of cards.

I brought back a Reflex from some work done there last week, and one of the things the tech said to me is that that guitar got a lot of compliments. I never heard that about any other guitar I've owned. Yet apparently it was Guitar Center that also saw little prospects in the Reflex.. from what I hear (maybe I heard wrong?). It doesn't seem like their employees or customers think that way.

User Info Menu

I don't understand why the Reflex, which was the Standard name of the Anniversary Model, didn't take off. Maybe it was just too similar to the Axis and other models that they have. The Armada was a great model too, but unfortunately only Guitar Center can really move enough product in person. People want to try things out, and if GC says no unfortunately it can mean the end for a model.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

They should sell them online like the vault offerings. That would be pretty cool.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Great idea.

User Info Menu

Selling it themselves online likely won't meet the numbers to make a production guitar worthwhile. Like it or not GC is like the Walmart of the guitar world. Read up sometime on how Walmart drove Levi's to move all production out of the USA. Not getting GC on board with carrying something can easily make or break things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
    Selling it themselves online likely won't meet the numbers to make a production guitar worthwhile. Like it or not GC is like the Walmart of the guitar world. Read up sometime on how Walmart drove Levi's to move all production out of the USA. Not getting GC on board with carrying something can easily make or break things.
    Johnny, we are talking about Music Man amps. If memory serves me right they worked with another company to actually make the amps. Your right about GC, but EBMM might have better luck with trying an online model. It has worked for some other companies.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Ooh, I forgot that one of my favorite guitarists also used Music Man amps. Tom Verlaine (or actually both him and his counterpart Richard Lloyd used them. The duo in Television). They didn't record with them though (they used Super Reverbs), but went with Music Man live before they broke up. In any case, Music Man or not, allow me to link a great track. This was a live bootleg from the end of their stretch, and it's possible it was one of their Music Mans. I swear to God, it's one of the greatest solos of all time. And people say Punks can't play...

Little Johnny Jewel - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Johnny, we are talking about Music Man amps.
    Oh yeah. I should tone down my day drinking.

User Info Menu

In lieu of no Music Man amps, I kind of think Mesa is a good pairing. They're both an evolution of Fender DNA, both Cali and family owned, and more importantly, both sound great together. Err... and both hard to find in Guitar Center too :P