Ready to Roar

Thread: Thinking of getting ss frets on Benji?

User Info Menu

Thinking of getting ss frets on Benji?

how different are ss frets?
    how much should it cost?
    should I even do it?
    What all should I know?

Got some extra cash and thinking of maybe upgrading to stainless steel frets on my Benji Madden sig the frets need to be polished next string change and was thinking maybe ss frets would be cool? would Music Man do it or do I take it to a luthier how do I go about doing so ?
    Three chords and two minutes is all I need.

User Info Menu

SS frets are noticeably different, they're much smoother feeling. They're harder too. I can't say what a price would be but generally speaking they are more expensive because they are much harder on luthier tools. That said I can see some people preferring nickle frets. In my opinion if you're happy with how your guitar is its not worth the cost of re fretting. If you already need a refret then it may be worth it.

tl:dr ss frets are smoother and will not wear down. probably not dramatic enough of change to warrant a refret imo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billpepper82 View Post
    how different are ss frets?
    how much should it cost?
    should I even do it?
    What all should I know?

Got some extra cash and thinking of maybe upgrading to stainless steel frets on my Benji Madden sig the frets need to be polished next string change and was thinking maybe ss frets would be cool? would Music Man do it or do I take it to a luthier how do I go about doing so ?
    EBMM do refret work, but my understanding is they will only put on what the instrument originally had, so if you want SS, you'll have to have it done elsewhere. Personally, I love SS frets for their smoothness and durability.
    ---------------
    Axis SS Semi-Hollow in Diablo Blue
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

I love SS frets. Some say that tonally, they are neutral to *slightly* brighter but the smoothness and increase in longevity is easily worth the extra cost (which if you think of it spread out over the 20 years the SS frets will last makes it a worthwile investment, IMHO).

If you have the funds, and the existing frets needs are getting worn, do it, you won't regret it.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my EBMM photo ablumbs

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

I love SS frets too. But if your frets are large and in good shape, I don't think it's worth doing just for the feel.

If you need to do fretwork anyway or want to change fretwire size I would seriously consider it. Many places do it these days, so it's not like it's an oddball request from a good luthier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    EBMM do refret work, but my understanding is they will only put on what the instrument originally had, so if you want SS, you'll have to have it done elsewhere. Personally, I love SS frets for their smoothness and durability.
    That is correct. I wanted SS frets on a JP6 that I bought that turned out to have quite a bit of undisclosed fret wear. It was a no-go.

I'll go with the majority in saying that I love SS frets. They're super smooth. But if your current frets are in good shape, probably not worth the cost of a refret. Based on prices I got for my JP6, you're probably looking at around $300 minimum, but there's not really a "standard." I got a $200-plus swing from highest to lowest quote.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

Just do it!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    I can confirm that EBMM will only put back on what the guitar was fretted with when it was manufactured.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    That is correct. I wanted SS frets on a JP6 that I bought that turned out to have quite a bit of undisclosed fret wear. It was a no-go.

I'll go with the majority in saying that I love SS frets. They're super smooth. But if your current frets are in good shape, probably not worth the cost of a refret. Based on prices I got for my JP6, you're probably looking at around $300 minimum, but there's not really a "standard." I got a $200-plus swing from highest to lowest quote.
    That's what to expect in my area as well, $300-400 for a refret with stainless. I don't do fret replacements here but know a few local guys who do!
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band