The Vault
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutlass RS HSS Truss Rod Is Stuck

User Info Menu

Cutlass RS HSS Truss Rod Is Stuck

Hi guys ,

I hope you are all well. Happy new year as well. I think I’ve got a problem with the truss rod on my cutlass RS HSS.

I think it might have seized up and got stuck. I’ve tried to adjust it just a small amount and it moves ever so slightly clockwise and counterclockwise about half a turn but if I want to try and move it more than that it won’t budge. I didn’t want to force it. It feels like I’m gonna break my Allen key if I try and move it anymore.

Have you guys had this before?

Any ideas what to try? Do you think it needs looking at?

Many thanks

Paul

User Info Menu

Have you contacted customer Service yet? Is it still under warranty?

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Have you contacted customer Service yet? Is it still under warranty?

Glenn |B)
    Hi Glenn,

I don't think it is under warranty I bought it back in 2018 but I can't remember the month I got it. Manufacture date was 21st of May 2018.

Yes I emailed them earlier today and also emailed my dealer so I should hopefully hear something tomorrow.

User Info Menu

If you are still under warranty, let the store you bought from take care of it. If you break it, you're out of luck. If they break it, it's a warranty repair at their cost. Personally, I have dealt with guitars with very stiff/tight truss rods, which in itself does not a problem but the force required for adjusting can be a little worrying!

Don't attempt to tighten until you loosen first.

Use the longest tool you can for more torque. But watch out, cheap allen keys may bend or break easily. (The allen keys in my EB tool kit are strong and long, I also have a precision screwdriver that fits well and is long enough).

The largest tool that will fit the hole is 3 mm diameter (but my 1/8" allen key will not).

Edit: In Europe you have a minimum of 2 year warranty. If the guitar is good condition with no obvious signs of abuse this should be a warranty repair/replacement by the stores distributors, assuming the store cannot fix it themselves.
    Last edited by DrKev; 01-09-2020 at 02:24 PM.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    If you are still under warranty, let the store you bought from take care of it. If you break it, you're out of luck. If they break it, it's a warranty repair at their cost. Personally, I have dealt with guitars with very stiff/tight truss rods, which in itself does not a problem but the force required for adjusting can be a little worrying!

Don't attempt to tighten until you loosen first.

Use the longest tool you can for more torque. But watch out, cheap allen keys may bend or break easily. (The allen keys in my EB tool kit are strong and long, I also have a precision screwdriver that fits well and is long enough).

The largest tool that will fit the hole is 3 mm diameter (but my 1/8" allen key will not).

Edit: In Europe you have a minimum of 2 year warranty. If the guitar is good condition with no obvious signs of abuse this should be a warranty repair/replacement by the stores distributors, assuming the store cannot fix it themselves.
    Thanks Kev, I'll wait to see what my dealer says. I am in the UK so you never know it might have the longer warranty on it. I'll keep you all in the loop.

It plays fine, I was re stringing this morning for a gig over the weekend and noticed it wouldn't budge I managed to adjust it so it was playable but it still needs a little bit more of an adjustment. I did end up breaking my high E string while doing that and I did notice it wasn't staying in tune. I put another one on and it's staying in tune now but I'd rather not take the risk at the gig.
    Last edited by Paulg2uk; 01-09-2020 at 03:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Did it move easily before? Can you loosen it a lot? Probably best to take it to a tech.

For me, I had a really stiff adjustment nut on a brand new bass. I backed it out enough that I could put in some graphite between the nut and the plastic washer and the wood. It moved much more easily after that.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Did it move easily before? Can you loosen it a lot? Probably best to take it to a tech.

For me, I had a really stiff adjustment nut on a brand new bass. I backed it out enough that I could put in some graphite between the nut and the plastic washer and the wood. It moved much more easily after that.
    It did move before so I reckon it's happened recently. It's usually my main guitar I gig with but I've been using something else the last few gigs. I recently decided to re string and use it again. I've been playing it at home and it's playing great.

I hope it can be fixed. Hopefully I'll hear something today.

User Info Menu

Update for you all. The warranty on my Cutlass ran out dec 2019 but the UK distributor Strings And Things said they will honour the warranty on it and take a look at my truss rod. I thought that was really nice of them. Just trying to sort out collection of the guitar to my dealer and then it will be sent in to be looked at.

I'll post any further updates when they've had a look at it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulg2uk View Post
    Update for you all. The warranty on my Cutlass ran out dec 2019 but the UK distributor Strings And Things said they will honour the warranty on it and take a look at my truss rod. I thought that was really nice of them. Just trying to sort out collection of the guitar to my dealer and then it will be sent in to be looked at.

I'll post any further updates when they've had a look at it.
    Good stuff!
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

Update for you all, James at Strings and Things in the UK managed to check out my truss on my Cutlass. It was indeed stuck and they've managed to loosen it off and it's all working correctly now. Glad it didn't need to be replaced. I even got a free setup as well. Great service and very helpful.

Will give it a play tonight when I get in from work.

User Info Menu

Excellent, glad they took care of you!!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Now that’s good service
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS HSS - Firemist Silver
    Cutlass Hunter Hayes - Lake Tahoe Blue
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Did you guys see the Blue Magic HSS BFR Cutlass? It looks awesome! Sound Affects just got one in and I'm really tempted.

User Info Menu

The real problem here is we don't have pics of your guitar to drool over.

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    The real problem here is we don't have pics of your guitar to drool over.
    Lol sorry about that here's some pics of my HSS Charcoal Frost enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cutlass RS HSS Truss Rod Is Stuck-img_0414-jpg   Cutlass RS HSS Truss Rod Is Stuck-img_0412-jpg