Flat Ribbon

Thread: Random Question: What plastic material is the pickguard and the nut made of???

User Info Menu

Question Random Question: What plastic material is the pickguard and the nut made of???

Hey all!

I'm just wondering what type of plastic material they use on the pickguard and compensated nut of the guitar? Are they both made of ABS or Melamine or something else?

Thanks!
    Peace and Love! ☮️❣️

User Info Menu

The pickguards are celluloid (and believe me, you can really smell the camphor when you sand them!) and the nuts are melamine or corian.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Are you sure on that? I'm pretty sure celluloid hasn't been used by most for years, with it being very environmentally unfriendly, as well as toxic and flammable. It literally explodes if exposed to excessive heat.

Most pickguards these days are Acrylic, PVC or a similar material.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    \It literally explodes if exposed to excessive heat.
    Ummm, nope. Don't set it on fire (it burns very easily, spontaneously when hot (which was a problem with thin celluloid film in old movie projectors, and the smoke is horrible!) but it's not an explosion hazard.

I had a spare tort pickguard for my silhouette special and I decided to see if I could polish out the scratches with micromesh pads (the answer was yes but could never get a finish I liked). The minty smell of the camphor was unmistakable, just like when you stick your nose in a bag a celluloid guitar picks. Many pickguards are made from something else or even combined layers of different stuff, but celluloid is still in use.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.

User Info Menu

I'm not saying I doubt you, but celluloid is a HAZMAT ORM-D commodity, and highly flammable. LMI does sell some celluloid materials, but assess a heavy surcharge due to the hazmat considerations.

However, pretty much all the celluloid you can get is tortoise shell, so if it was a tort guard, then it's possible.

For almost all other colors I can find, it's only "plastic" with no hazmat warnings.

Pickguard sheet, red tortoise, celluloid, no adhesive, 5" x 8" x .030"
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

yeah, good point. Thanks!

User Info Menu

As far as I know MM uses Pickguard Planet for it's guards... look it up, it's a thing

I've ordered custom guards from them for various MM guitars... I prefer single ply and I believe they've all been PVC. I know this because i have added a rounded bevel on a couple of them and got into it a bit with them to understand what that might look like on a PVC guard (looks guuuddd).

They may sell celluloid tortoise guards at Pickguard Planet, they have a ton of materials and colours... but I bet vinyl/pvc are mostly standard materials. Reach out to them and ask, they can tell you!
    Last edited by Cenobyte; 01-16-2020 at 02:02 PM.
    Albert Lee HH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drkev View Post
    the minty smell of the camphor was unmistakable, just like when you stick your nose in a bag a celluloid guitar picks.
    I LOVE that smell !!
    Random Question: What plastic material is the pickguard and the nut made of???-img_20200116_233512212-jpg
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005 pix
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994 pix
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004 pix
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011 pix

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobyte View Post
    As far as I know MM uses Pickguard Planet for it's guards... look it up, it's a thing

I've ordered custom guards from them for various MM guitars... I prefer single ply and I believe they've all been PVC. I know this because i have added a rounded bevel on a couple of them and got into it a bit with them to understand what that might look like on a PVC guard (looks guuuddd).

They may sell celluloid tortoise guards at Pickguard Planet, they have a ton of materials and colours... but I bet vinyl/pvc are mostly standard materials. Reach out to them and ask, they can tell you!

Oh awesome! Thanks! This topic is very interesting to talk about hahah!
    Peace and Love! ☮️❣️

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobyte View Post

I've just reached out to them just like what you said, and it turns out that the pickguard is actually made from ABS plastic but the nut is made from melamine.
    Attachment 36302 I
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Random Question: What plastic material is the pickguard and the nut made of???-20200130_085611-jpg  
    Peace and Love! ☮️❣️