Straps 2020
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NGD: Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray BFR Dec '19 Atomic Orange!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bgreen44 View Post
    Okoume, Congrats on the NGD !!!! These are Ball Family Reserve Guitars. There were only 51 made world wide. Fantastic Guitar!!! How do I know ? I am lucky enough to own #2 of 51 made. see post below NGD Atomic Orange. Mine has a great flame neck.
    Awesome, congrats to you as well, looks great!! Looks like I'll get mine Monday, it's goin' to be a longggg weekend! lol

I have 30 of 51

It's odd that all resellers are listing it as a "High-quality African mahogany body", wonder how that happened!
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

User Info Menu

Okoume is a mahogany.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlbasscatcher View Post
    Okoume is a mahogany.
    I'm not sure that's true, it's totally a similar wood and is often referred to as Okoume mahogany because of that, but only because it's a similar wood. Either way I've never had an Okoume guitar so this should be fun!
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

User Info Menu

FYI- "Okoume"
    Okoume | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)
    Aucoumea klaineana - Wikipedia

vs - "African Mahogany"
    African Mahogany | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)
    African mahogany - Wikipedia

...not trying to start any arguments, just get educated.
    My opinion is that the two are similar, but not the same thing.
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Okoume is technically not a "true" mahogany. They are members of the same order, but the true Mahoganies are all members of the Meliaceae family, while Okoume is a member of the Burseraceae family.

There are members of the Mahogany family in Africa, but Okoume isn't one of them.

However, that doesn't mean that it isn't a VERY NICE tonewood, which it is. As the traditional tonewoods become harder and harder to source due to cost, deforestation, and competition with the Asian furniture market, we'll be seeing more of these less traditional woods.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Anyone know why the BFR's haven't posted for February yet? Granted I've just started following them a couple months back so I don't know what time of the month they post.

User Info Menu

Just a follow up to the original post, promised some images once I got my grubby paws on this beauty, not the best pictures but they give a good idea of how this guitar generally looks under normal light etc! The finish can look everything from an light orange-y amber sparkle to bright sparkling orange, plus under stage lights it looks amazing, with red lights this looks almost ruby red... very cool, I'm also really loving the tones on this guitar, so glad I picked it up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NGD: Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray BFR  Dec '19 Atomic Orange!-img_1404-jpg   NGD: Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray BFR  Dec '19 Atomic Orange!-img_1382-jpg   NGD: Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray BFR  Dec '19 Atomic Orange!-img_1378-jpg   NGD: Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray BFR  Dec '19 Atomic Orange!-img_1410-jpg   NGD: Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray BFR  Dec '19 Atomic Orange!-img_1416-jpg  

Reflex Game Changer HSHP

User Info Menu

I just picked up this same guitar, number 41. I love the look, fell and sound! How does it compare sound and feel wise to the Albert Lee?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    FYI- "Okoume"
    Okoume | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)
    Aucoumea klaineana - Wikipedia

vs - "African Mahogany"
    African Mahogany | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)
    African mahogany - Wikipedia

...not trying to start any arguments, just get educated.
    My opinion is that the two are similar, but not the same thing.
    Thanks for this, xjbebop. From the specs on that site, it seems okoume is lighter and softer than mahogany. Interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LPTyler View Post
    I just picked up this same guitar, number 41. I love the look, fell and sound! How does it compare sound and feel wise to the Albert Lee?
    Congrats! It's a beautiful guitar, we're only 11 off from each other! :P Every time I walk by it it's hard to take my eyes off of it, or pick it up to run a couple riffs. Also on stage with various lighting it looks killer!

As for comparisons to the ALHH I'd say the Stingray has more of a low output vintage sound to it... also the ALHH has a 5 way for single coil type sounds, which you can sort of get in the middle position on the Stingray with some volume/tone adjustment, but the ALHH may be a little more versatile if you're looking for some stratty sounds etc Also the Stingray has approx 2 more inches of length to it due to it's longer body and a bit of a longer neck, so the neck sits further out when on a strap than the ALHH (which is a bit of a compact feeling guitar). The ALHH is my main so it's a bit of a adjustment, but it's been fine. Also the Stingray neck is a bit bigger in all dimensions than the ALHH, so once again a little bit of a different beast... more classic feeling I'd say overall.

I'll be using the Stingray for LP sounds for the most part, and for looking super fancy at certain gigs where I can get away with a simple 3 way. Anyway congrats again, post pics!
    Last edited by Cenobyte; Yesterday at 12:28 PM.
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP