Ready to Roar

Thread: What is 'Okoume'...???

User Info Menu

What is 'Okoume'...???

I keep seeing this questioned on many threads, so I thought I'd start a dedicated thread to the subject...

FYI- "Okoume"
    Okoume | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)
    Aucoumea klaineana - Wikipedia

vs - "African Mahogany"
    African Mahogany | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)
    African mahogany - Wikipedia

...not trying to start any arguments, just get educated.
    My opinion is that the two are similar, but not the same thing.

Any other pertinent information out there?
    Last edited by xjbebop; 01-17-2020 at 10:21 AM.
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Think that about sums it up... makers like PRS, Suhr, Fender, and of course MM, have been using Okoume a bunch over the last few years. There seems to be a perception from some that Okoume is a cheaper, inferior wood to work with (vs mahogany), but I kind of doubt these guitar makers would start using a wood which was worse than what they used traditionally to save literally a few bucks.

I feel like Alder, Mahogany etc were what was available back when electric guitars were first being produced and the industry has stuck with that for the most part, no reason to think other similar woods like Okoume can't also be great tone woods. Anyway, just typing out loud here really.. I'm no tone wood expert by any means lol
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

User Info Menu

XJBeBop, thanx man!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"