New Prodigy

Thread: Cleaning/maintenance regime firemist Cutlass roasted neck

User Info Menu

Cleaning/maintenance regime firemist Cutlass roasted neck

Hi All
    Just wondering what people do to clean/maintain new Music Man guitars particularly the roasted maple neck and fret board? Also what products are safe and effective?

I'm absolutely in love with my new cutlass and want to keep it in the best condition!

Thanks all
    Chris

User Info Menu

Hey, congrats on the new Cutlass, I also love mine and do my best to keep it looking zexy!

My Cutlass is a 2017 model so it has the ultra-light satin polyurethane finish on the back of it... for that I just use a microfiber cloth with a bit of guitar polish since it isn't a wax finish, and then use Ernie Ball fretboard conditioner 'wonder wipes' for the fretboard, usually a few times a year for every guitar. I do this when the strings are off (between changes) and I let the conditioner sit for 15 mins or so before going over it with a cloth to remove the excess.

On necks with a wax/oil finish I use a dab of something called Smith Classic Wax Polish, a Bees wax/Lemon oil combo, on the back of the neck once a year or so when cleaning the guitar, along with the EB fretboard conditioner for the board as mentioned above! Otherwise I just use finish spray for the body, EB also has it's own version of that. I suggest buying a couple boxes of the fretboard conditioner and then perhaps a couple of combo packs to try the other wipes they sell. Either way it can all be found via this link: Instrument Care | Ernie Ball
    Last edited by Cenobyte; 01-18-2020 at 05:36 PM.
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

User Info Menu

Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes. I have used it on all my EBMM’s for years. It really makes the roasted necks look amazing while keeping them perfectly oiled. I wipe it on, let it sit for a minute then wipe it off with a soft towel.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black 2HB AL (DOB 12.01.2009)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 3.16.2014)

User Info Menu

Wonder Wipes are recommended for use on the roasted maple neck and fret board as they contain lemon oil. On the body, use anything as its poly so impossible to damage with cleaning products.

User Info Menu

I do nothing and my necks are fine.

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

I wipe with Wonder Wipes at every string change, same process as Stratty -- let it sit a minute and wipe off.

Once in a blue moon (maybe every other year or so), I'll work the neck lightly with Scotch-Brite and re-apply the B-C gunstock oil and wax -- wipe on, wipe off, don't let it sit long. Be sure your neck is the unfinished variety before you do that, though. That will ruin the satin finish, which just needs a dry cloth. If you're not certain, I'd ask CS.

That said, I also let my '07 Axis go for a very long time without doing the wax and oil treatment because I was afraid I'd mess something up, and I had no real ill effects from it. It just feels nice when you freshen it up.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com