Volt Power Supply

Thread: Custom made on my neck plate

User Info Menu

Custom made on my neck plate

Hello everyone! This is my first post on any forum of any kind so I am truly a newbie. If I am not following protocol just let me know. I have just purchased a JP6 BFR Koa top gold hardware, ebony fretboard. I donít see anything custom about it. My serial number is G49404. Any ideas? Thanks for any help. Dave.

User Info Menu

Go here and get the info on it:

Serial Number Database | Ernie Ball Music Man

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Thanks Glenn. The look up shows when the guitar was made which really helps! Does anything in the build code suggest anything “custom Made”. I don’t understand the code. Thanks Dave

User Info Menu

It's a BFR so it should have a Ball Family Reserve inlay on the 12th fret... BFR's tend to have the best of the best figured woods, and tops/paint jobs that are limited in nature, a little extra attention to detail etc. They aren't custom made per-say, they're just fancier versions of regular production runs at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Cenobyte; 01-20-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Albert Lee HH
    Silhouette BFR July '20
    Cutlass SSS
    Reflex GC HSHP

User Info Menu

Pete is pretty good at decyphering these things:

Serial # G49404
    Manufactured September 27th, 2011
    Build Code 962-KB-J8-00-BB-GD
    Model BFR Petrucci
    Color Island Burst Koa
    Pickguard No Pickguard
    Hardware Gold Hardware

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. Am I correct to assume that just because the neck plate is stamped ďcustom madeĒ doesnít necessarily mean that it was a special order 1 of 1 ? At the end of the day it doesnít really matter. I love everything about the guitar and Iím not looking to sell or trade it. I was just wondering if it affects the value positive or negative. Dave.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBHRPH View Post
    Thanks everyone. Am I correct to assume that just because the neck plate is stamped “custom made” doesn’t necessarily mean that it was a special order 1 of 1 ? At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter. I love everything about the guitar and I’m not looking to sell or trade it. I was just wondering if it affects the value positive or negative. Dave.
    Right.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBHRPH View Post
    Thanks everyone. Am I correct to assume that just because the neck plate is stamped “custom made” doesn’t necessarily mean that it was a special order 1 of 1 ? At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter. I love everything about the guitar and I’m not looking to sell or trade it. I was just wondering if it affects the value positive or negative. Dave.
    I've seen Custom Made plates a few times, and I'm not sure what it means. EBMM doesn't have a custom shop, so any one-off custom order would have been either an artist guitar or for a special event. My 1-of-1 was a NAMM display and doesn't have the Custom Made stamp.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

The 20th Anniversary Silhouette offering featured Custom Made neck plates, and those certainly weren't one-offs. Sometimes I think it was just a marketing decision to appoint a special run that way. My son has a NAMM one-off from a few years back, and there's not any such special designation on it, so I wouldn't give it too much thought - just enjoy playing the guitar.
    ---------------
    Axis SS Semi-Hollow in Diablo Blue
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Cutlass RS in Charging Green
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

I believe when you could choose the tops (quilt or flame), as was the case with the 20th and many others, the neck plate would say "Custom Made". So there are a lot of them out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    I believe when you could choose the tops (quilt or flame), as was the case with the 20th and many others, the neck plate would say "Custom Made". So there are a lot of them out there.
    Ahhh. I owned a 20th for a time, but I wasn't the original purchaser, so that fills in a gap for me.
    ---------------
    Axis SS Semi-Hollow in Diablo Blue
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Cutlass RS in Charging Green
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    This is correct.

Also,

When the BFR instruments first came out they had a special inlay at the 12th fret denoting "BFR" and the neck serial plates were stamped "CUSTOM MADE" - When the 12th fret inlay went away circa 2013 the "BFR" script took the place of "CUSTOM MADE"
    Our exclusive color Diablo Blue is coming back in Summer 2021!
    DuBaldo Music's "Diablo Blue" !

^--- My Store --->
    DuBaldo Music on Facebook also on Twitter and on Instagram

Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    YELLOW 9 -- HeadSpace -- Romeo's Bleeding - Bon◆Jovi Tribute <--- My bands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    This is correct.

Also,

When the BFR instruments first came out they had a special inlay at the 12th fret denoting "BFR" and the neck serial plates were stamped "CUSTOM MADE" - When the 12th fret inlay went away in 2013 the "BFR" script took the place of "CUSTOM MADE"
    I miss the 12th fret marker, I didn't like it at first, but once I had one I loved it!!

Glenn |B)