Ready to Roar

Thread: Anyone experienced paint lifting or flaking on older Axis?

User Info Menu

Anyone experienced paint lifting or flaking on older Axis?

I recently bought a 2001 Purple Axis used. Looked great in all the pictures and plays and sounds good. It had very little play wear but after about a week of ownership I noticed a pretty significant flaw. The paint appears to have bubbled up at some point right by the control cavity on the rear of the guitar. This is actually the second Late 90's/Early 2K Axis I've owned that has had paint start lifting or just straight flaking off on the back. Is this a known issue? A quick search of the forum didn't find anything...

Pic:
    Flickr
    Last edited by Exodus5; 01-22-2020 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Picture added
    1997 Gibson Les Paul Classic
    1997 Ibanez RG570
    2001 Music Man Axis
    1993 Fender Telecaster
    1999 Fender Stratocaster
    2018 Charvel DK24

User Info Menu

I own 3 Axis (Super) Sports right now, all of the similar period, and have owned two more (one Sport one Super) also from late 90s. Never had such an issue.
    2001 Axis Sport HH hardtail maple fretboard burnt apple
    2001 Axis SuperSport HH hardtail maple fretboard translucent gold
    1997 Axis Sport HSS hardtail maple fretboard translucent red (Pro Track in neck and Injector Neck in middle)
    2002 AL MM90 hardtail maple fretboard honeyburst converted to AL 2H (black Dimarzio Customs)

User Info Menu

Dunno if this is related at all, but my older BFR JP6 has some finish lifting on the low E side of the neck pocket. I got it in trade this way recently. I plan to take it to my local Luthier at some point to see what he can do with it.

Last edited by Red_Label; 01-23-2020 at 10:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
    Dunno if this is related at all, but my older BFR JP6 has some finish lifting on the low E side of the neck pocket. I got it in trade this way recently. I plan to take it to my local Luthier at some point to see what he can do with it.
    I noticed the exact same thing on my JP6 from '08 recently, where the finish is cracking a bit around the neck pocket. I assume it's just from the neck plate being screwed on there tightly and the wood shifting a bit over 12 years. I loosened the neck pocket the other day to see how bad it is, but it's just some surface cracking. There aren't any loose flakes or anything, so I'm not too worried about it.

User Info Menu

I have a beaten 97 Axis but have not seen such issues. Even if it happens, it's just a guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Tennessee View Post
    I noticed the exact same thing on my JP6 from '08 recently, where the finish is cracking a bit around the neck pocket. I assume it's just from the neck plate being screwed on there tightly and the wood shifting a bit over 12 years. I loosened the neck pocket the other day to see how bad it is, but it's just some surface cracking. There aren't any loose flakes or anything, so I'm not too worried about it.
    Good to know. Thanks for that info. I'll have a look at mine when I change strings tonight or tomorrow.

User Info Menu

I have a 96, 97 and 2000 Axis and have never had an issue with any of them. I have had a few others from the same time period and no issues there either. The only Axis Sport that had issues was one I bought used off of Ebay (CHEAP) that I know was abused.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black 2HB AL (DOB 12.01.2009)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 3.16.2014)