New Slinkys March 2020

Thread: Cutlass Pickup Covers & Knobs

User Info Menu

Cutlass Pickup Covers & Knobs

Does anyone know if the plastic covers that come on the Cutlass pickups are the same spec as anything else you can buy on the market, or are the dimensions proprietary to Music Man? I just bought a used Cutlass RS HSS which I can't wait to receive, but I'm already thinking about customizing it a bit.

Same for the control knobs - are they the kind you can pop on and off with force, or are they screwed into the potentiometer shaft like the JP model knobs? I'd probably end up changing these out as well.

User Info Menu

Standard strat-style knobs.

I don't know if the single coil covers are non-standard. They look pretty standard and I'm would hazard a guess that the only thing to watch out for is the width of pole pieces and you should be fine. The humbcuker cover, I have no clue.

Perhaps when the EBMM crew are recovered from their NAMM extravaganza Daniel could ask?
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Thanks. I guess I could always get some different ones and see what works, they are cheap enough. It would be cool if they had Cutlass pick guards and parts in the online shop like they do for the Stingray bass. It's pretty cool that they've started doing that.

User Info Menu

YES, you can change out the covers. I swapped out two of mine for silver covers. Super easy. Can't get you specs, but I'm pretty sure it was standard sizing.

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Nice. Well that pretty much settles it. The finish on mine will be charcoal sparkle, so that gives me an idea of what it will look like with a black scratchplate.

User Info Menu

You can buy the Cutlass plastics from Music Man.

User Info Menu

Yeah, if I need to do it thru customer service I will. I need a new nut for my old Sub1 anyway. May as well make it a bulk order.

User Info Menu

I too can confirm they are standard dimensions
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS HSS - Firemist Silver
    Cutlass Hunter Hayes - Lake Tahoe Blue
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    I too can confirm they are standard dimensions
    Cool. That will make things a bit easier.