New Slinkys March 2020

Thread: Pickup swap on a Morse

User Info Menu

Pickup swap on a Morse

Okay so yet again Iím gonna play around with the pickups and wiring on my standard Morse , right now itís back to the stock pickups but I have only three pickups wired and the three way toggle is a coil tap. I have a set of axis pickups and also a set of Seymour Duncan , pearly gates neck and custom custom bridge . Now Iím just debating what to do .
    What would you guys do , I know some would say keep it stock but itís fun to tinker around with pickups and wiring.
    Gio

Steve Morse Y2D with Floyd Rose
    Blueburst Steve Morse standard
    Purple Sterling Axis

User Info Menu

I put a Duncan Screamin Demon in the bridge and a Stag Mag in the neck. Push/push volume knob. It gave me several cool sounds that are distinct and usable. Area 67 in the slant coil position and an Injector next to the Demon.
    I left the other wiring stock with the exception of moving a couple of wires so that the 3 way switch is Bridge-Middle-Neck.
    This guitar is loads of fun. The only thing now is that I wish it had a tremolo. Then it would dang near be like a Swiss Army Guitar!
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

User Info Menu

That’s pretty cool , I tried the screaming demon and a super distortion once in the bridge of the Morse and it wasn’t for me.
    Gio

Purple Sterling Axis

User Info Menu

I tried the Axis pickups years ago in a Morse and didn't love them in that guitar, though it obviously depends your application. (I've lost track of how many pickups I've gone through ...) I think I just prefer a less midrangey pickup in that guitar, for whatever reason.

These days I'm really liking the Transition pickups in it. I've also heard good things about the Dimarzio 36th pickups as well. (Somewhat cut from the same cloth, with the Transitions being hotter.)

Fwiw, my current setup is Transition bridge & neck and stock singles, with a 500k volume (and treble bleed resistor & cap) and 250k tone pot. Put in a 5-way with switching like the Y2D. The neck single is on the 3-way toggle. The "add bridge" toggle is a split for the bridge. And a silent circuit, wired to the singles and the split, to keep things quiet.

I am really, really happy with this setup these days.
    Last edited by beej; 01-24-2020 at 12:07 PM.

User Info Menu

I was thinking about the transition ones at one time . Kind of forgot about them till I read your post . Now that could be another option .
    Gio

Purple Sterling Axis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    I tried the Axis pickups years ago in a Morse and didn't love them in that guitar, though it obviously depends your application. (I've lost track of how many pickups I've gone through ...) I think I just prefer a less midrangey pickup in that guitar, for whatever reason.

These days I'm really liking the Transition pickups in it. I've also heard good things about the Dimarzio 36th pickups as well. (Somewhat cut from the same cloth, with the Transitions being hotter.)

Fwiw, my current setup is Transition bridge & neck and stock singles, with a 500k volume (and treble bleed resistor & cap) and 250k tone pot. Put in a 5-way with switching like the Y2D. The neck single is on the 3-way toggle. The "add bridge" toggle is a split for the bridge. And a silent circuit, wired to the singles and the split, to keep things quiet.

I am really, really happy with this setup these days.
    I just saw a white transition set for sale , I wonder how they would look in the morse
    Gio

Purple Sterling Axis

User Info Menu

Not that it matters but I love the look of Steve’s EBMM prototype that showed up in the Kansas music vid. Black guard and singles with two white humbuckers.
    Pickup swap on a Morse-779c9b7d-26ce-4984-835d-a45f19d32e64-jpg

Here’s my version...mocked up a little:
    Pickup swap on a Morse-bafbe7f0-d140-4d88-b08c-ea181e663a8f-jpg
    Last edited by Samoht; 01-24-2020 at 05:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Samoht View Post
    Not that it matters but I love the look of Steve’s EBMM prototype that showed up in the Kansas music vid. Black guard and singles with two white humbuckers.
    Pickup swap on a Morse-779c9b7d-26ce-4984-835d-a45f19d32e64-jpg

Here’s my version...mocked up a little:
    Pickup swap on a Morse-bafbe7f0-d140-4d88-b08c-ea181e663a8f-jpg
    Too bad there aren't few more switches.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vuduhwy View Post
    Too bad there aren't few more switches.
    There is a purpose for each one. Not trying to make this about my OCD Morse journey...just wanted to show a Morse with white buckers for gforce.
    Last edited by Samoht; 01-24-2020 at 06:30 PM.

User Info Menu

.. about my OCD Morse journey...
    pleez tell us! ;-)
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

There is a purpose for each one. Not trying to make this about my OCD Morse journey...just wanted to show a Morse with white buckers for gforce.
    Thank you , that looks pretty cool.
    Gio

Purple Sterling Axis

User Info Menu

I was just being silly. I'm ALL about experimenting!!