Mariposa Green

Thread: Axis Super Sport Rosewood Or Maple Fingerboard?

User Info Menu

Axis Super Sport Rosewood Or Maple Fingerboard?

Hi guys,

I hope you are all good. I've asked this question on one of the MM FB pages and was interested to know what everyone thought here on the forum.

I'm thinking of selling my Majesty Monarchy and putting a deposit down on an Axis SS. What do you all think rosewood board or a maple board? Anyone find the maple fingerboard too bright compared to the rosewood board?

I've never owned an Axis before so just trying to get an idea of what to expect. I should probably mention I do own a Cutlass RS with a Rosewood board and a couple of L3's with rosewood boards as well. My JP15 has a maple neck and fingerboard as well.

Many thanks
    Paul

User Info Menu

Hi Paul,

I don’t notice a significant difference between the two, but the maple will be just a smidge brighter (well within the realm of a small bump down on the treble to your current eq settings for adjustment). It’s really personal preference.

If you ask me my personal recommendation, I’d say go maple since you are heavy on rosewood in your harem!

Either way... Go for it!!!

User Info Menu

Go for the feel / look you want, not a big difference tone wise. Especially if you ad some dirt / gain...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies much appreciated. I think I'm gonna go for rosewood, I just get the feeling the maple will be too bright for me.

User Info Menu

Maple has a little more snap, but it's not a huge difference. I never liked maple boards until I got my first Axis (and would have chosen rosewood on it if it were available on the Floyd version at the time), but I love it on the Axis. It's a different beast. Of my four, three are maple (one roasted, two birdseye) and the fourth is ebony. All four sound very different, even the two with pretty much identical specs.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

An ASS with (non-roasted) maple neck and fingerboard was my first experience with that, and barring a case where rosewood or ebony is the only option in a configuration I want, I'm a maple guy every time now. I just prefer the feel of it, and don't honestly notice a significant difference in tone. But get the one that appeals to you more overall - feel, look, everything.
    ---------------
    Axis SS Semi-Hollow in Diablo Blue
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Thanks again guys, I'm having a hard time letting go of my majesty at the moment. I really don't want to sell it. I know I'll regret it if I do. I think I'm just gonna put a deposit on the Axis SS and then I've got like 6-7 months before it turns up to save up for some of it.