Ready to Roar

Thread: Cutlass RS trem not returning to pitch after use

User Info Menu

Cutlass RS trem not returning to pitch after use

Hey guys! Iím a recent EBMM convert and I am absolutely loving this HSS Cutlass RS! Iíve got a few questions for you gurus out there:

The guitar came with the tremolo flush with the axe, I put a set of elixir 9s on the guitar, pulled out a trem spring leaving two left in a V shape, and have been having issues with tremolo stability since. Whenever I pull down on the trem, if I donít pull it back to home base the trem wonít return on its own, leaving my strings somewhere between a half and whole step flat until I pull up on it slightly to Ďrecenterí the trem if you will. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

My other question is regarding the trem stiffness. Iíve got two springs in it and am using 9s, Iíve got a slight angle on the floating bridge off the body, but when I pull the trem down it just feels like there is a ton of tension, itís not easy to move at all. Iíve considered using springs with less tension but does anyone know for sure what the remedy is?

Thanks! Hopefully someoneís got a few minutes of time to enlighten me on these issues. Thanks in advance if so!

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Hi there,
    Congratulations on your new Cutlass RS! Check your pivot posts to make sure they aren't too low. If the front of the bridge is hitting the body of the guitar, it may be preventing it from returning to tune. This could also cause the tremolo to feel stiff.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you may need to tighten up the screws on the claw where the two remaining springs are just a bit.
    ---------------
    Axis SS Semi-Hollow in Diablo Blue
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

I put some dry lube in the nut slots and on the knife edge contacts, worked like a charm!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lbushwhack View Post
    I put some dry lube in the nut slots and on the knife edge contacts, worked like a charm!
    Sweet! What kind of lube did you use? A lot of people forget that trem posts need lubrication. Also a nicely cut nut with some lurbrication there helps as well.

I also play brass instruments, an the first suggestion when there is a "rattle" or a "sound" is "lubricate all of the joints".
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck