2020 StingRay Special colors

Thread: Sterling maj7 high e breaks

User Info Menu

Unhappy Sterling maj7 high e breaks

hey guys, i bought a sterling bmm majesty 7 string half a year ago and the high E was absolutely not capable of bends. 1.5 semitones would ALWAYS break the string. long story short they gave me a brand new guitar and the first thing i did was test it out. gave another day - dream theater a go and instantly the string breaks (on the brand new guitar just pulled it out of the box)
    the strings ALWAYS break on the spot where the string touches the bridge plate on the old and new guitar
    i honestly have no clue what to do since my playing style really has tons of bends in it and thats a huge limitation for me
    anyone had the same thing happen to them too? any tips on how tf do i solve it?

User Info Menu

So it's not breaking at the saddle?

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    So it's not breaking at the saddle?

Glenn |B)
    No, never at the saddle
    Only at the place that the string contacts the plate

Site wont let me upload both pics so here u go
    20200305-005926 — ImgBB
    20200305-004941 — ImgBB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sterling maj7 high e breaks-20200305_004941-jpg  

User Info Menu

Thanx for the pics, so chances are there is a burr in there where the string comes thru. I'd recommend taking off that saddle and taking a look, or using a very fine round file and running it around the edges of the hole.

Hope it helps, Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"