Everlast

Thread: Silhouette HSS for metal?

User Info Menu

Talking Silhouette HSS for metal?

Hi!

I've been wanting to buy an EBMM HSS guitar that can also work well for metal. I have been looking into the Silhouette Special HSS, but I have the impression that its humbucker pickup isn't suited for high gain...

Would it be better to get another guitar to do the job or can I stick to the Silhouette?

(I can't have a floating bridge since I mess around with a lot of alternate tunings all the time)

Thank you

User Info Menu

---------------------------------------------------------
    ASS BFR, AL HH, Silo

User Info Menu

The Silhouette can do it alright. Don't let the nay-sayers put you off because the pickups are low output. Unless of course you don't like vintage-style low output pickups. When we start cranking the gain up high enough, the amp/pedals are more of the metal tone than the pickups, in my humble opinion.

May I also suggest the Cutlass HSS? The pickups are a hair louder and fatter than the Silhouette's.

Ernie Ball Music Man Cutlass RS HSS Stealth Black DEMO - YouTube
    Last edited by DrKev; 02-26-2020 at 02:35 AM.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    The Silhouette can do it alright. Don't let the nay-sayers put you off because the pickups are low output. Unless of course you don't like vintage-style low output pickups. When we start cranking the gain up high enough, the amp/pedals are more of the metal tone than the pickups, in my humble opinion.

May I also suggest the Cutlass HSS? The pickups are a hair louder and fatter than the Silhouette's.

Ernie Ball Music Man Cutlass RS HSS Stealth Black DEMO - YouTube
    I gave a thought about getting a Cutlass, but to me, the humbucker is too dark and the second position (bridge + middle) doesn't sound as good as it does on a Silo.

I also just watched the German demo of the Silo and I think that it sounds amazing Music Man Silhouette Special MN PB & RW WP - YouTube

I may be getting seduced by the looks the Silo's looks as well

Thank you for your help, I'm convinced that it would be a great guitar to bring to a gig now.