Straps 2020

Thread: How to properly float the Cutlass/Stingray Tremolo/Vibrato Question...

User Info Menu

Question How to properly float the Cutlass/Stingray Tremolo/Vibrato Question...

Hi There!

I'm loving the new Cutlass I got but have been experimenting with the tremolo and have a question:

To float the bridge, do you recommend raising the two posts, so that the bridge remains parallel to the body, or doing it more like vintage bridge, where the posts stay down, and the back of the bridge pushes forward, so that it isn't parallel to the body?

Since it comes flush from the factory against the body, I've left the post down, and have it tilting up to float, but most two post trem systems, you lift the posts to keep it parallel, so I'm unsure what would work best.

Thanks,

Gary

User Info Menu

The posts really aren't made to be raised or lowered. They are screwed directly into the body, not into bushings, as far as I know. If you want it to float, it needs to be at an angle to the body.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

To add to tbonesullivan - to float those bridges you will loosen the trem spring tension by loosen (letting out) the claw. Its a back and forth operation, loosen claw, tune, loosen claw, tune until you get the float where you want it. I have floated both my Cutlass's without any problems or concerns, just takes a bit of time. The pivot posts, if properly adjusted should only allow a gap at the pickup side of the bridge plate about the thickness of a business card to allow the bridge to move up and down without hitting the body of the guitar.

EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

I always take out at least one spring on all my tremolo guitars. The tension just loosens up considerably and then adjust the claw to liking.

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Thanks all! I've been really getting to know this tremolo the last 24 hours, and tried both ways. I have kept the posts in their original position, and am floating it like a strat 6 screw vintage bridge. I took off the hand rest since it was impossible for me to not push down on the bridge with even the slightest touch, making everything sharp when I am palm muting, etc. And now, without the cover, and just the exposed bent steel saddles, it is perfect! I have it set up with the G string pulling up a minor third, the B string, a whole step, and the high E a half step. I'm pyched!
    How to properly float the Cutlass/Stingray Tremolo/Vibrato Question...-screen-shot-2020-03-07-3-31-25-pm-jpg

User Info Menu

Personally, I don't know why they went to the "covered" tremolo design. The vintage design, such as used on the Luke II/III, Axis SS, and other guitars for years looks and plays awesome.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I like the covered trem aesthetic myself
    Doesn’t seem to affect my palm muting either
    Guess it’s down to your muting style. I play my Strat with the ashtray on
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...tober-22-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

I love the covered trem as well. Just feels better to me.

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Switching as frequently as I do between the vintage and the new trem, I don't even think of the difference between them anymore. It never occurred to me to take the cover off!

Of course, whatever works for you is great.

And welcome to the forum family, Gary!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service