Straps 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2001 jp6

User Info Menu

2001 jp6

Hi all

I am looking for my first EBMM John Petrucci model. I am looking at a Silver Sparkle JP6, and I see from the serial number it is a 2001 model. It certainly looks in good condition although it is getting on for 20 years old. I would be buying this blind as the seller is in the UK and I am in Spain.

Music Man USA John Petrucci JP6 RARE Silver Sparkle Dream | Reverb

As a newbie to EBMM, what should I be asking? What do you guys think from what you see here? I did fancy a piezo but I probably would not use it much so not a deal breaker. What would the pickups be assuming they are the originals and what are they like?

Many thanks!

User Info Menu

So you want to look for stress cracks in the paint around the neck pocket. The knobs are not the original but they can be replaced. To me it's a bit pricey, but silver sparkle is a great color in person. It's got a great looking neck!! I'd ask about pimples or dings in the paint.

Good luck, Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    So you want to look for stress cracks in the paint around the neck pocket. The knobs are not the original but they can be replaced. To me it's a bit pricey, but silver sparkle is a great color in person. It's got a great looking neck!! I'd ask about pimples or dings in the paint.

Good luck, Glenn |B)
    Thank you Glenn, that is most helpful.

Bill

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post

Good luck, Glenn |B)
    But that's cosmetic only? Or does it suggest something else with the neck pocket?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    But that's cosmetic only? Or does it suggest something else with the neck pocket?
    Usually it's only cosmetic as long as you aren't seeing wood. From the pictures if it does has it, it's only cosmetic and nothing structural. But you might get some $$ off.

Glenn |B)
    Last edited by GWDavis28; 03-24-2020 at 01:26 PM.
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Thanks again, I am also considering this one:

Music Man John Petrucci JP6 Piezo (2008) True Gold | Frets | Reverb

Obviously this has a piezo. Not as many photos and I cant see the serial number. I have asked if all the strings are sounding with just the piezo engaged as I came across one recently where they were not.

Again, anything I should ask about this one in particular, and aside from aesthetics, which one would you choose and why?! 😀

User Info Menu

The serial number looks like G43899.

For those that have the piezo, it's a must.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S View Post

Obviously this has a piezo. Not as many photos and I cant see the serial number. I have asked if all the strings are sounding with just the piezo engaged as I came across one recently where they were not.

Again, anything I should ask about this one in particular, and aside from aesthetics, which one would you choose and why?! 😀
    Both look sexy as hell, but of the two, I'd go for the gold. The piezo is such an amazing tool.

However, both seem a bit on the pricy side. I've seen newer JP6's without piezo go for less than 1400 euro. I just bought a 2012 JPXI in great condition for 1700 euros off a local guy (cheaper than the two you're looking at), so I think patience is key.

Keep an eye on sites like the German eBay as well - many are willing to ship to other European countries, and there are occasional bargains to be had.

So I'd recommend patience - and say that you'll be hard pressed to go back after playing a JP model!

User Info Menu

The first is overpriced, no peizo, non matching head stock, non original knobs, no JP shields, maybe worth 600-900 less, the other is nicer

User Info Menu

I looked for a True Gold JP6 forever and never found one, they're very rare IMO. I ended up finding a True Gold Luke but ended up selling it (because of the neck really) and loved the True Gold. I ended up settling on a Medallion Gold JP6 (which was also harder to find but nowhere near as hard) which I love the color on, and my comparison the True Gold is a bit warm and orange-y.

That True Gold one seems to be a good deal, good fr hard to find, GREAT would be like 18.

Ya know all my JP6's have piezos but honestly, I never use it. Great for resale value, most want them.

buy Buy BUY
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

User Info Menu

I have bought the gold one, and negotiated a decent discount to the asking price. Should be with me next week, and I will report back.

Thank you for all your input.

User Info Menu

I have bought the gold one, and negotiated a decent discount to the asking price. Should be with me next week, and I will report back.

Thank you for all your input.
    Nice congrats, Desert Gold is a great color.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

Awesome! Congrats! Post pics when she comes in the door

The silver sparkle was priced way too high and really dislike when the seller has to advertise its the cheapest on the net, when clearly they've sold for a helluva lot less in recent times. smh. Anyways, looks like ya got a good one!!!

Welcome to the fam! You'll find great people here who are very knowledgeable. Glenn,Dr.Kev,Norm... to drop a few names I'm a Morse fanatic and "Name Dropping" is one of my fav tunes!!!
    Last edited by SilosRock; 03-27-2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Welcome...
    1986 Music Man 1st Production(Ash
    Body/Maple Neck/Rosewood
    Board (Serial#86034)

1991 Silhouette(Natural Ash/Maple
    Neck/T-shell/LaceSensorGolds)

2006 SM-Y2D(Tobacco Sunburst)
    2018 Warmoth Tele (Swap Ash/Purple
    Quilt Top/Rosewood Neck/Ebony
    board)

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I am super excited to be joining the EBMM family! I met John Petrucci in Madrid in January doing the meet and greet. He was super lovely and humble. I took my Strat, and he signed it for me...even though he joked to the couple of guys who had Music Mans that we should burn it!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family! It'll spoil you for other guitars, believe me.