New Slinkys March 2020

Thread: Quick Survey: Morse Weight

User Info Menu

Quick Survey: Morse Weight

No, not Steve’s weight...

Just bought a 2013 Morse standard and really like the guitar. I figured with the slab body and the amount of hardware that it couldn’t be as light as my Val, Silo HSH, and AL HH, all under 7lbs. My Morse weighs 8lbs on the dot. It doesn’t feel that heavy on the strap but I surely notice it when I pick up the Val or one of my other, lighter guitars.

So, I’m curious. What does your Morse standard weigh? The MM website doesn’t list an average weight for it as it does for other models. Can’t imagine there’s one out there that weighs less than 7lbs but, as the Tootsie Pop Owl famously said, let’s find out.

Joe
    Last edited by bbjonz; 04-14-2020 at 09:23 AM.
    Silhouette (2007), Sunburst
    Silo Special (2004), CAR
    AL HH (2011), Black
    Assorted Fenders and G&Ls...

User Info Menu

Hello

My 2001 Morse is a bit on the heavy side : 4 kg ... thus a bit more than 8 lb.

User Info Menu

I would say Morse weighs around 8lbs or maybe a little more.
    Gio

Steve Morse Y2D with Floyd Rose
    Blueburst Steve Morse standard
    Purple Sterling Axis

User Info Menu

Mine is about 3.6 kg, so I guess similar to yours (8lbs).... an average Strat is similar....

Tommy Alderson played it once (guitar tech for Steve Morse) and mentioned it would be a light one.
    I really don´t know much because I only had few other Morses in my hands - never thought they were heavy.

Of course my Albert Lee is light as a feather, my reflex is a little lighter than my Morse. But my SUB1 is heavy (4+kg)!
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. Good to know that mine is on the lighter side, or at least average. I really like the way it plays and sounds, and I suspect I can get used to the weight.

Banjoplayer, I have a 2004 hardtail Strat that weighs 7.1 lbs—searched high and low for it. Of course, my Silo SSS, which weighs a few ounces more, plays rings around it and sounds much better.
    Silhouette (2007), Sunburst
    Silo Special (2004), CAR
    AL HH (2011), Black
    Assorted Fenders and G&Ls...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by banjoplayer View Post
    Mine is about 3.6 kg, so I guess similar to yours (8lbs).... an average Strat is similar....

Tommy Alderson played it once (guitar tech for Steve Morse) and mentioned it would be a light one.
    I really don´t know much because I only had few other Morses in my hands - never thought they were heavy.

Of course my Albert Lee is light as a feather, my reflex is a little lighter than my Morse. But my SUB1 is heavy (4+kg)!
    Well, that's funny.
    The Morse and the SUB are quite similar : a poplar body, a maple neck and no beer belly or arm cutaway ...

But my Morse is on the heavy side (>4kg), my SUB is very light (3.2 kg).
    And for Banjoplayer, it is the contrary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fbecir View Post
    But my Morse is on the heavy side (>4kg), my SUB is very light (3.2 kg).
    And for Banjoplayer, it is the contrary
    strange....

Read somewhere (here?) that they may have used woods for the SUBs that couldn´t be used for regular models because of imperfections or weight.... So I assumed, weight may have been the reason, why my SUB-body became a SUB and not a Morse. But that doesn´t make sense for your very light SUB?!

On the other hand: my SUB1 sounds great, the weight doesn´t matter. But I don´t gig it very often. For this I prefer lighter guitars
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

Mine is 8.5 pounds.