The Vault
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tele equivalent EBMM

User Info Menu

Tele equivalent EBMM

What do you all feel is the Tele equivalent in the EBMM line?

User Info Menu

In my experience, the only "equivalent" to a proper tele sound & feel is a proper tele style instrument.....
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Valentine, I would say. If the looks and the versatility of the humbucker splittable to single coil mode are not your cuppa tea, then you'll need a real tele.

Valentine | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man
    Last edited by DrKev; 04-26-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Well, the Steve Morse model is based on what was once upon a time a Tele...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    In my experience, the only "equivalent" to a proper tele sound & feel is a proper tele style instrument.....
    I´ll second that. Years ago (before the introduction of the Valentine) BP said here, clostest to an Tele would be the AL. In my opinion the ALis somewhere between a Strat and a Tele, and a kind of its own. An AL is a wonderful guitar but not as raw as a Tele can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvaksalver View Post
    Well, the Steve Morse model is based on what was once upon a time a Tele...
    Steve Morse´s Frankenstein Tele was heavily modded. It had a Tele body, but there it ended. No Tele bridge, no Tele single coil in the bridge. The EBMM Morse has not much in common with a Tele.
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

I'm glad EBMM has no Telecaster type of guitar. They already play a bit in the strat/superstrat territory (mostly with the Cutlass and Luke), and that's already enough.

There are so many tele and strat copies (from the cheap to the super-expensive custom) and tweaks being produced by so many companies. EBMM is different enough in what they do that it's not just quality production guitar or bass being produced, it's different. And they do new/innovative things.

As far as EBMMs go, I only play StingRays. I know they're based on the original 70s models, but these things are kind of weird. They have massive butt ends on them, are kind of offset, and have a two vintage-ish humbuckers. The switch is in that Les Paul spot. It's sort of a hybrid of things between a Fender Jazzmaster and a Gibson SG (and a little LP). Not only does it play really well but it has a lot of the things I like from different guitars crammed together into one.

Another version of a Telecaster just seems like the brewery situation where I live: I can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. I don't like shredder guitars but that Majesty is wild; you keep doing that EBMM. This world is well-served by St. Vincents, Mariposas, Valentines, and Albert Lees. There are enough Telecasters and Les Pauls.

User Info Menu

I sold my Tele after buying a Valentine. It's like a humbucker necked Tele with a sweeter sounding bridge pickup.

User Info Menu

The closest MM Tele I've heard is one of my AL's that I modded a few years back. I'm super happy with it and love to play it. It comes pretty close, but it's still not the same thing...

Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Tele Equivalent?

For the most part I agree that a Tele is a Tele and never the twain shall meet. Whatever that means...

The Val and SM are close enough where I'd happily use them to cover my Tele needs. Here's my Val, in front of my '66 Tele (a refin but good one), G&L ASAT Deluxe SH, and ASAT SH (with Lollers). I almost always reach for the Val or Deluxe SH, and tho both sound great, they ain't quite as spanky as a Tele. I just played the '66 through my AXE FX III with the '59 Bassman patch and nothing sounds quite like that.

Joe

Tele equivalent EBMM-ksz5pqrl-jpg
    Silhouette (2007), Sunburst
    Silo Special (2004), CAR
    AL HH (2011), Black
    Steve Morse (2013), Sunburst
    Assorted Fenders and G&Ls...

User Info Menu

There’s always the option of an Albert Lee with Johnny Highland Six Shooter singles pickups in. Check his videos out where he has them in axis sport
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...d-may-28-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

The closest MM Tele I've heard is one of my AL's that I modded a few years back. I'm super happy with it and love to play it. It comes pretty close, but it's still not the same thing...

Oh man, that is a sweet Albert. Well done. I love it.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Jim Messina’s

User Info Menu

I'd be SO tempted to have a custom bridge plate made, to complete the Tele look. Still, that is a sweet looking AL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jadaxis View Post
    What do you all feel is the Tele equivalent in the EBMM line?
    My Axis Sport HSS gets really close to Tele sound. It's got the single coil for the neck, and then the middle position splits the bridge humbucker and gives you the neck single coil + bridge single coil to give you the tele middle position.

The last position on the way switch gives you the full humbucker. But for me, the single coil in the bridge position is my second least favorite guitar sound. (First being the middle single coil by itself.) So I don't mind that.

Also, the Axis Sport is made of Ash, and a maple neck, so it has the brightness that most teles have since Fender did make a lot of them out of Ash with maple necks. (Which they announced they will no longer due except for custom shop ones since the Ash supply is heading towards extinction.)

If you can find a used Axis Sport in HSS or with the MM-90's (Music Man's P-90s) I think you will get that tele sound you're looking for!
    "Musician, Heal Thyself!" -Ask me how!

User Info Menu

Thanks all. And, I’ve been thinking about an Axis with MM90’s....
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

An Axis Sport or SS w/ MM90's still isn't a Tele, but they are outstanding gittars!!

Balls are Best!!