The Vault
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for my second EBMM

User Info Menu

Recommendations for my second EBMM

A few weeks back I took delivery of my first EBMM guitar - a 2008 JP6 piezo in true gold. Haven't put it down - head and shoulders the best guitar in terms of pure quality I have owned in 40 years.

So, what would you recommend for my second EBMM? My main thing is recording in my studio, and 90% of the time I turn to my US Fender Strat deluxe. I love cleaner tones/point of break-up stuff, and so I'd love to get something from the MusicMan range that does that Strat thing, but with its own take on it.

What would you recommend?

User Info Menu

that would be the Cutlass -- best Strat I've ever played, and I've owned a dozen or more. Mine is a maple fretboard SSS and it plays effortlessly & sounds great. My current #1 and it's put some nice guitars back in their cases.

User Info Menu

Hello Bill.

My son’s dream guitar was a Strat. He’s had a BFR Axis for ten years that I bought him when he was 13. But, he loves Hendrix and SRV so he wanted a Strat.

So, I just bought him a Music Man Cutlass roasted maple for his college graduation present. If I may be so bold, I think it out Strats a Strat. It’s way more comfortable with the contoured heel and the pickups are sublime. Stainless steel frets are wonderful, too.

He no longer wants a Strat.

I hope this helps you.

Oh, an Albert Lee SSS would also be a fine choice. Good luck.

Here is my Albert Lee. This thing is as close to a Strat as you will find in my collection.

Last edited by Tollie; 05-15-2020 at 07:38 AM.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Natural

User Info Menu

If HSS is OK, Silhouette Special and Cutlass are way better than a strat, and I did over 1000 gigs with a strat I loved, so I know what I'm talking about. Once I got the Silo in my hands, Strat stayed in its case and was used for parts for students.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my EBMM photo ablumbs

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Yeah, the Cutlass and the SSS Albert Lee are sublime.
    If you like to use piezo a lot, you might want to look at the Hunter Hayes Cutlass
    Last edited by TrapperJ; 05-15-2020 at 08:11 AM.
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS HSS - Firemist Silver
    Cutlass Hunter Hayes - Lake Tahoe Blue
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    If HSS is OK, Silhouette Special and Cutlass are way better than a strat, and I did over 1000 gigs with a strat I loved, so I know what I'm talking about. Once I got the Silo in my hands, Strat stayed in its case and was used for parts for students.
    I second the Silhouette Special. It does the “strat” thing, but isn’t a strat. If your not selling your strat you will have the “strat sound” and the Silhouette Special will live in those spaces in between. Position 4 (neck and middle pickup) has a dirty-gritty sound that’s easily become my favorite. The Silo Spec is a must have EBMM in my opinion. The Axis and HH Albert Lee are great choices as well.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black HH Albert Lee (DOB 12.01.2009)
    Honey Roasted Axis - Quilt (DOB 09.20.2012)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 02.03.2014)

User Info Menu

Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

I have a silo special sss and would say it can get those sounds. I used to have an Albert Lee with three MM90s and it could produce some great clean sounds as well.

I also think the Axis Super Sport is a pretty versatile guitar that does clean sounds well. The five way switch gives lots of options. I loved mine — just wasn’t super comfortable without the tummy cut and forearm contour. That’s the only reason I sold it.
    2008 LE Silhouette Special SSS
    20th Silhoutte w/Piezo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tollie View Post

gorgeous!

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Yep all the responses are true but IMO Cutlass is the best, blows a Strat away, AL SSS is second, what I use and a Silo Special is last but killer

User Info Menu

This is great information, thanks for taking the time to reply. In an ideal world, I’d like to sit down in a store for half a day and try out five or six different models, then make a choice. Obviously not possible right now, but how do I find out where a good selection is available? I’ve been on the Ernie Ball website and I’m still none the wiser for dealers in either Spain or the UK - maybe I’ve missed something. Any guidance here greatly appreciated.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I’m drawn towards the Cutlass. That said, of all the features I enjoy on my JP6, it’s the wonderful pickups that I’m most in love with, so I would love to compare Strat type models for myself if I could.

User Info Menu

If you are in the UK Peach will likely have the most stock, but really not an awful lot kept in stock and ready to go in the UK. All mine were bough unplayed- sounds affects and project music are both greats dealer to work with in terms of treating you fairly and good deals. At least that is my experience

Edit - except my Hunter Hayes. My mate in the US bought it and shipped it to me cos it wasn’t available here at the time and I was too impatient to wait
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS HSS - Firemist Silver
    Cutlass Hunter Hayes - Lake Tahoe Blue
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Thanks, yes in reality I will probably end up buying blind as I suspect there’s nowhere in the UK or Spain with an extensive selection in stock. I’ve no qualms over quality, and am not particularly fussy about the feel of the neck, in fact I enjoy the variety in the guitars I do own. It’s perhaps more tone thing really.

User Info Menu

Whatever the first one, the second one has to be an Albert Lee...
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Jason View Post
    Whatever the first one, the second one has to be an Albert Lee...
    Respect what you are saying, I’m just not loving the shape! I would love to try one right alongside a Cutlass though, because having only seen Albert Lees in photos, the playing experience may change my mind!