New Slinkys March 2020

Thread: Which Cutlass should I buy?

User Info Menu

Which Cutlass should I buy?

I have decided I would like to buy an SSS Cutlass. Here are a handful currently for sale in the UK:

Cutlass RS Electric Guitar in Charcoal Frost £2,400
    Music Man Cutlass RS Electric Guitar in Charcoal Frost | Sound Affects

CUTLASS MODERN CLASSIC IN VINTAGE TURQUOISE £1,700
    Musicman cutlass modern classic in vintage turquoise | Musicman | Electric guitars | Product | Knighton Music Centre

Cutlass Charcoal Frost with Roasted Neck £2,100
    Music Man Cutlass Charcoal Frost with Roasted Neck

Cutlass Charcoal Frost Pre Owned £1,500 (tiny ding)
    Music Man Cutlass Charcoal Frost Pre Owned

Cutlass Coral Red with Roasted Neck £2,100
    Music Man Cutlass Coral Red with Roasted Neck

CUTLASS RS CORAL RED ROASTED MAPLE NECK £2,000
    https://www.knightonmusiccentre.com/...ed-maple-neck/

Which one do you like? Wondering why the turquoise one is so much cheaper than the other new models. What features should I look out for? I do like the look of a roasted neck and fretboard, but I am open minded.

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Morning Bill, they are pretty nice, but it come down to what you want, maple or rosewood you know like that. If your looking at cost (I'm in US, so pounds doesn't mean much to me) the one with the small ding, seems like a pretty good deal for a very tiny blem. If you can live with it.

Good luck with the decision, Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

I'd look for one with a maple fretboard, if it was me -- doesn't seem like it would make that big a difference but over time, I've developed a strong preference for maple. worth trying to find one to make a comparison. Mine is an SSS with stainless frets and the older (non-roasted) maple neck and it is a very zingy guitar with outstanding note definition.

User Info Menu

maple for sure.

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

I would keep searching and definitely maple fretboard if you can find it

User Info Menu

The vintage turquoise is cheaper because it from before they went to roasted necks
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...d-may-28-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat View Post
    I would keep searching and definitely maple fretboard if you can find it
    Thanks everyone. Yes, I think a roasted maple fretboard would really appeal. It’s a question of finding one in an SSS and I will try to find one!