VPJR Tuner Launch

Thread: Modding my GC

User Info Menu

Modding my GC

I use my GC on virtually every gig I play. Itís my all-time favorite guitar, but two things I donít dig are that itís not a double cut away and that itís pretty heavy (especially for 4 hour gigs).

Iím thinking of buying another and modding the body thusly:

1. Cut away a section from the upper bout for thumb reach, and possibly even add some ďhornĒ length to the upper bout.
    2. Replace top with a nice quilt slab
    3. Reduce body mass and weight with either more chambering or edge-rounding or circumference reduction (body slimming). The best approach would be determined once the top is off.

Comments or suggestions?

User Info Menu

Hey- figure this might get more traction in the guitars section (rather than the GC sub-forum).

That's a lot of work ... but it's certainly yours to mod. A nice top would be a huge addition. Personally I would have loved to see a GC with a figured top. (Like the 25ths.)

Since it's already chambered, I'm not sure how much extra reduction you'd get. And beyond any sonic changes, the balance could be thrown off.

Anyhow, very interested to hear what you decide to do!

User Info Menu

that sounds challenging.
    how heavy is your GC? I own a reflex and itīs a rather light guitar (didnīt weigh it ībut assume between 3,2 and 3,5 kg). As I think it is not known for to be an heavy guitar - maybe you could find a lighter one?
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

That’s a crazy amount of work!!! And as a 25th owner I confirm they are not more than 3,5 kg trem version.

Is the weight coming from extra electronic ? You can also swap the tuner knob for plastic one you save a bit of weight here. The Problem is any structural changes you will do may affect the tone of your beloved instrument.
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009