VPJR Tuner Launch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about BFRs...

User Info Menu

Tell me about BFRs...

As some of you may have read in other threads, Iím new here and looking for my second EBMM.

I thought Ball Family Reserve models were the sort of ďpinnacleĒ for want of a better expression. However, Iíve read elsewhere (FB comments) words to the effect that whilst some BFRs are really special, others are more ďrun of the millĒ. I think it was mentioned all JP13s were BFRs.

Anyway, Iím in the market for a Cutlass, and Iíve seen one 2018 BFR model, brand new, for sale for several hundred pounds less than a non-BFR. Confusing to a newcomer. If Iím going to splash out on a new EBMM, I am tempted to go all out and try to get a BFR, and/or a nice roasted maple neck and fretboard, but I am now in need of more guidance on this BFR thing...what does it ďbuy youĒ?

User Info Menu

Do it. The BFRs do have a little something extra. The first cutlass BFRs were magic. One had a full rosewood neck. What the one you are looking at?
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...d-may-28-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

They are limited in numbers, often have neck binding or different wood combinations or limited edition colours. The two I want to add to my collection one day are both first run BFR cutlass. Malibu Gold and natural with rosewood neck. I bought the st Vincent in that run
    Ernie Ball Music Man Cutlass BFR Natural Ash w/ all-Rosewood Neck #25 of 47 - YouTube
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

User Info Menu

BFR's can be and mean a lot of different things. Definetly most limited runs are BFR's

If you can find a Malibu gold limited run from a couple years ago grab it, sweet Cutlass!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat View Post
    If you can find a Malibu gold limited run from a couple years ago grab it, sweet Cutlass!
    There are two of those on Reverb right now. If it weren't for the neck binding, which I don't like, I would have bought one of them myself!

I have two BFRs - they are no better quality-wise, tone-wise or playability-wise than any of my other EBMMs, but that's only because the standard factory guitars are already so good!
    Luke 2 Graphite Pearl MH
    Luke 2 Luke Blue
    Luke 2 BFR True Gold Rosewood
    Luke 3 BFR Boysenberry Quilt
    Luke 3 PDN Bodhi Blue Rosewood
    JP6 White Pearl MH
    JP6 PDN Starry Night MH
    Cutlass PDN Starry Night MH
    Cutlass Ghostwood
    Cutlass Black

User Info Menu

This one is in Spain, although itís at the other end of the country from me:

Music ManCutlass Malibu Gold | Mike’s | Reverb

I am a bit nervous because it appears to be an individual with little history who is selling it.

User Info Menu

I would buy that in a heartbeat

There is the other one from that run on eBay

ERNIE BALL MUSIC MAN BFR CUTLASS NATURAL SOLID ROSEWOOD NECK LTD EDITION 12/47 | eBay

User Info Menu

I love the older BFRs just for the inlay at the 12th fret! I am a sad man i know :-)
    2010 Axis Super Sport BFR Bahama Blue Burst Rosewood fretboard

You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie M View Post
    I love the older BFRs just for the inlay at the 12th fret! I am a sad man i know :-)
    Not sad... you're not alone! My JPXI is the only one I still have with the 12th fret inlay. I've considered selling it many times to purchase new BFRs (most recently the nebula majesty) but I just cant bring myself to do it everytime I see that BFR inlay. I love that design.
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine
    2018 JP15 BFR Eminence Purple

My Youtube Channel

User Info Menu

If it’s a BFR that catches your eye and meets your budget constraints, go for it. They generally offer something unique finish-wise, sometimes different electronics. You shouldn’t assume they’ll sound different/better to your ear than a non-BFR, but many are spectacular to look at.
    ---------------
    Axis SS Semi-Hollow in Diablo Blue
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Cutlass RS in Charging Green
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Etudica View Post
    Not sad... you're not alone! My JPXI is the only one I still have with the 12th fret inlay. I've considered selling it many times to purchase new BFRs (most recently the nebula majesty) but I just cant bring myself to do it everytime I see that BFR inlay. I love that design.
    Same here

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    EBMM Artisan Majesty 7 Nero
    EBMM Majesty 6 Arctic Dream
    EBMM Monarchy Majesty 6 Imperial Blue
    EBMM JP6 BFR Solar Burst
    EBMM JP16 6
    EBMM Cutlass SSS Turquoise
    Taylor 414CE
    Mesa Boogie JP2C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie M View Post
    Not to take away from this thread, at first I didn't like it, but once I had gotten one with it, I really liked it and miss seeing them. Too bad they aren't an option.

As for a BFR, like everyone says if it works for you, get it.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    I would buy that in a heartbeat
    @trapperJ I did! Well, not quite a heartbeat. The guy I bought it from (an individual on Reverb with not a lot of “history”) was excellent to deal with. One thing he did was send me a 5 minute video showing me the guitar in huge detail and commenting as he went. That was a confidence booster for me, more so than just photos. Could not have gone more smoothly.

User Info Menu

That’s awesome mate - great score. I’m a little envious I must say.
    Funnily enough I sold one of my previous Cutlass to finance the Hunter Hayes and I did the same thing for the guy interested in buying it. Did a demo video going through all the switching and showing him what amp I was using and what settings so he knew what was occurring in context. He was well pleased and we did the sale. Personal touch goes a long way and shows yer not just a guy flipping guitars

User Info Menu

Yeah, it made me think if I ever sell a guitar again then video is the way to go. Thanks - it’s a cracking guitar. The only downside? It is a present for my upcoming “special” birthday from my wife and kids and Mrs S has now instructed me to put it in its case, and not open it again until I am officially presented with it on my actual birthday...in FIVE WEEKS TIME! However, I know, I know I am a very lucky man :-)