The Vault

Thread: MusicMan Cutlass RS Setup Issue

User Info Menu

MusicMan Cutlass RS Setup Issue

I hope someone with a Cutlass can help. I've been playing for over 30yrs and have played and setup a ton of guitars but this Cutlass RS has me a bit stumped.

I recently purchased this through Guitar Center Used in excellent condition. Came looking brand new, even the plastic still on pick guard and humbucker, mint condition.

There was serious buzz all over the neck, so, I reset the neck so there's no relief and raised the saddles and started the setup process. Got action as low as possible without buzz. Action of course too high and still slight buzz between 1 - 11 frets. I adjusted the neck to add some relief but still no improvement with buzz. Basically put action back to acceptable height and it's just horrible. Also the 3rd string (G string) constantly goes out of tune. I think it's a bad tuner. I'm almost positive this instrument should play better than mine does.

What am I missing? The action looks to be at a decent playable height, neck slight relief, but it just buzzes so bad. Has anyone else recieved a defective Cutlass, maybe a bad nut or fret job? I really dont want to return it as it's so pretty so any recomendations would be appreciated.

User Info Menu

I’m no expert, but have you got a fret rocker so you check the evenness of the frets up and down. Sometimes even with the best stuff, a duff one slips through.
    My other thought would be a badly cut nut. Are you noticing any binding at the nut - ya know that tight ping and release sound you can get when tuning if the nut needs work. If the nut overall is too low, maybe that could be a problem
    Although you are used to doing setup, if you can get it to a luthier for a second opinion, I would do so.
    What warranty is offered on it?
    It may also be worth reaching out to customer services. Seems odd that a used guitar would have all the plastic on. You sure it wasn’t a floor demo model, cos if so it might still be covered by music man
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...d-may-28-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

Definitely get a fret rocker and look for some high frets. Just one can really ruin your day. If it was stored in a non climate controlled area, that can work frets up out of the slots.

If you find a high fret, you can sometimes knock it back down with the plastic handle of a screw driver.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Man, I wish you lived near me, so you could play mine. You’d instantly fall in love with it. Like the others said, get a straight edge and “teeter totter” it all over the fretboard looking for a high fret.
    I’m sure there are some great techs out there. Sending to the factory for a set up is possible too. Personally, I use one less spring in the back because it feels so much better to me versus the factory setup.
    Last edited by Astrofreq; 05-25-2020 at 08:10 PM.

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

You know what, it sounds like there might be a shim in the neck pocket that doesn’t need to be.

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

I bought one of those Guitar Center specials -- alleged to be new, in fact a slammed floor model, weird noise in one pickup, intermittent jack, dings and dents. The factory was kind enough to take it in, fix the problems and set it up. It came back from them as the best-playing guitar I have ever owned, instant #1. Get that Cutlass playing right and it will amaze you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplayer001 View Post
    I hope someone with a Cutlass can help. I've been playing for over 30yrs and have played and setup a ton of guitars but this Cutlass RS has me a bit stumped.

I recently purchased this through Guitar Center Used in excellent condition. Came looking brand new, even the plastic still on pick guard and humbucker, mint condition.

There was serious buzz all over the neck, so, I reset the neck so there's no relief and raised the saddles and started the setup process. Got action as low as possible without buzz. Action of course too high and still slight buzz between 1 - 11 frets. I adjusted the neck to add some relief but still no improvement with buzz. Basically put action back to acceptable height and it's just horrible. Also the 3rd string (G string) constantly goes out of tune. I think it's a bad tuner. I'm almost positive this instrument should play better than mine does.

What am I missing? The action looks to be at a decent playable height, neck slight relief, but it just buzzes so bad. Has anyone else recieved a defective Cutlass, maybe a bad nut or fret job? I really dont want to return it as it's so pretty so any recomendations would be appreciated.
    BTW, we have a rule round here - pictures or it doesn't exist
    Same goes for you @elvisdog
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...d-may-28-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies