New Slinkys March 2020
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Legend Mr Dudley Gimpel

User Info Menu

Well said, Jeff!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Wow. I'm so thankful for Dudley's contributions to EBMM and the guitar in general.

I still remember the day I saw and played the EVH model at my local guitar shop and being blown away. There was just something so different about that guitar and I spent so much of my time trying to figure out what made it so good. There are so many little details that made these guitars so great that I'm sure he had a hand in developing. The EVH / Axis alone introduced (to me at least) so many features that were not prominent on other guitars at that time, that we take for granted today: sculpted neck heel for better access, 4+2 headstock for straight string pull, poured plastic binding that gave the no seam look and feel, exact routed pickup cavity to match the Dimario pickups with no mounting rings, asymmetrical neck carve with heavy rolled edges with an oil and wax blend finish, nylon washer between the strap pin and the body, custom PCB soldered to heavy duty short throw toggle switch just to name a few.

I'm extremely happy for Dudley and hope he has passed the torch to someone worthy! Good luck Dudley and thank you for all of your contributions!
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst
    2017 - St. Vincent - Stealth Black

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

User Info Menu

A legend in every sense. Live long and prosper, Sir!

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

I´ll give him 6 month, then we will hear from him again....creativity never retires and being at home 24/7 destroyed the healthiest relationship in the past. �� All the best for the future! If you read this - if not: All the best for the future. Stay healthy! Mick
    Mick
    EVH transblack 1995 slightly faded
    Silhouette transteal 1994 (updated with a compensated nut!)

Mick´s Guitar Center
    Landshut/Germany
    www.facebook.com/MicksGuitarCenter
    "We offer extremly high quality & extremly low prices! - Pick one!"

User Info Menu

The genius and I may still sneak in a few things~! I love Dudley Gimpel Never an ego...May not go down in history as well as he should....hes the best Ive seen We worked together forever and never had an argument....
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

What a great run! Congrats to Dudley on retirement and thanks for all of the amazing contributions over the years!

User Info Menu

I had a chance to sit down and talk with Dudley at the Open House and he couldn't have been more gracious with us knuckleheads that day. I'm not sure why I felt the need to do it, but I asked him to sign my VIP laminate, it's been hanging with my guitars ever since. He will be missed for sure.

fred

Play Ball!!