The Vault
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel Blue Axis BFR

User Info Menu

Steel Blue Axis BFR

Wondering if anyone knows the specs on these guitars. Only 75 made. I am seeing conflicting information.
    I assume it is a basswood body, Flamed maple top, Birds eye maple neck. Wondering about the fret material. Does anyone know if these are stainless steel or nickel. I have seen them listed as both. These guitars were made in the fall of 2018.

Thanks

steel blue axis - Bing
    Last edited by guitarheadhunt; 06-18-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    JP12 BFR
    Silo special black 2012
    Silo Trans purple HH Floyd Rose 2012
    Luke III Tumescent BFR

User Info Menu

No idea on specs, but that sure looks nice
    2008 LE Silhouette Special SSS
    20th Silhoutte w/Piezo

User Info Menu

I have one. It's awesome. It has the exact specs you stated and the frets are indeed stainless.

IMG_20200410_184608172~01 by ThePod, on Flickr
    Last edited by ThePod; 06-18-2020 at 10:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that. I can not find the specs on that anywhere. Everyone just says regular frets. Heck one seller says it has a roasted maple neck. We know that’s not the case. I can’t get Musicman themselves to answer the question I sent them either.
    JP12 BFR
    Silo special black 2012
    Luke III Tumescent BFR

User Info Menu

It was a 2018 BFR, but your right doesn't say anywhere whether they are SS or not.

Ball Family Reserve | Ernie Ball Music Man

Ernie Ball Music Man BFR Axis Electric Guitar Steel Blue | Musician's Friend

Ernie Ball Music Man Axis BFR #31 Steel Blue

But ThePod has one so he should know.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Yep, they are definitely stainless. I have an Axis without stainless frets (the one in my sig) and then my BFR. The BFR frets are so smooth and slidy compared to my other one.

User Info Menu

My JP12 has ss frets and I love them. My Silo's nor my Luke 3 tumescent does not. I just heard back from musicman customer service and they said that they are nickel on this model not stainless. Any guitar costing as much as these BFR's should come with ss frets. Disappointing. I was thinking of buying one but I really want ss frets on my next guitar.
    JP12 BFR
    Silo special black 2012
    Luke III Tumescent BFR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarheadhunt View Post
    My JP12 has ss frets and I love them. My Silo's nor my Luke 3 tumescent does not. I just heard back from musicman customer service and they said that they are nickel on this model not stainless. Any guitar costing as much as these BFR's should come with ss frets. Disappointing. I was thinking of buying one but I really want ss frets on my next guitar.
    Interesting. They are the hardest and smoothest frets I've ever played. they are much more slippery and smooth compared to my other axis. If they are nickel it's a very hard compound
    Last edited by ThePod; 06-20-2020 at 05:10 PM.

User Info Menu

My Luke 3 tumescent looks like it has SS frets compared to my silhouettes and look very similar to the sheen of the frets on my JP12 but they are nickel. I am not sure how long you have owned the steel blue axis or how much and heavy you play it. One way to tell is look in the area of the neck where you tend to play most. especially rhythms. Look real close at the frets and see if you see the slightest indentations. Mine will usually show up around 2nd and 3rd fret under the B and G string. I have owned my Luke for about a year and it does not see as much playing time as my silos and it already has wear on those frets. My Jp has none and I have owned it a lot longer. Check to see if you have any visible fret wear anywhere on the neck.
    JP12 BFR
    Silo special black 2012
    Luke III Tumescent BFR

User Info Menu

My Luke 3 tumescent looks like it has SS frets compared to my silhouettes and look very similar to the sheen of the frets on my JP12 but they are nickel. I am not sure how long you have owned the steel blue axis or how much and heavy you play it. One way to tell is look in the area of the neck where you tend to play most. especially rhythms. Look real close at the frets and see if you see the slightest indentations. Mine will usually show up around 2nd and 3rd fret under the B and G string. I have owned my Luke for about a year and it does not see as much playing time as my silos and it already has wear on those frets. My Jp has none and I have owned it a lot longer. Check to see if you have any visible fret wear anywhere on the neck.
    It's at our practice space. It's pretty regularly played but I've only owned it since Feb. I'll check it out when I get there on Tuesday.

User Info Menu

How long have SS frets been fitted on certain EBMM guitars?
    2010 Axis Super Sport BFR Bahama Blue Burst Rosewood fretboard

You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

User Info Menu

Any guitar costing as much as these BFR's should come with ss frets.
    In your opinion, you mean

Disappointing. I was thinking of buying one but I really want ss frets on my next guitar.
    This always gets me. People come here and when something isn't 100% to their liking they're "disappointed" (as opposed to impressed about everything else ... it always comes across as negative.)

These BFRs are a monthly recipie MM wanted to try out ... a little bit of this, a little bit of that. Some have features others don't. They're limited runs for those that can get their hands on one. That guitar is drop dead gorgeous, regardless of fretwire, but there are plenty of others out there for you to try out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    In your opinion, you mean

This always gets me. People come here and when something isn't 100% to their liking they're "disappointed" (as opposed to impressed about everything else ... it always comes across as negative.)

These BFRs are a monthly recipie MM wanted to try out ... a little bit of this, a little bit of that. Some have features others don't. They're limited runs for those that can get their hands on one. That guitar is drop dead gorgeous, regardless of fretwire, but there are plenty of others out there for you to try out.
    Very well put there Beej

User Info Menu

That is a sweet Axis. Another great BFR run.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Jim Messina’s

User Info Menu

Do any of you know if SS frets were on EBMM axes back in 2010 or is it a more recent thing?