Flat Ribbon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: silhouette or special?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mb99zz View Post
    Glad to hear you think it’s warmer sounding than the Silo. Makes me want to try one even more!!!
    The buffer in the Cutlass kind of complicates that. A totally passive non-buffered guitar will sound darker with a long cable and brighter with a short cable. The Cutlass doesn't. So, if you run a 30 or 40ft cable from the guitar, the Silo will be close to the Cutlass in tone. If you run a 10ft cable, the Silo will be obviously brighter.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Heads up: the next BFR round (July 28th) will have a Silo. I don't think it is what you are looking for though. Think sparkle, mirror guard, chopper middle pup, and super distortions for the bridge and neck.
    "Scott Moreno"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dargin View Post
    Heads up: the next BFR round (July 28th) will have a Silo. I don't think it is what you are looking for though. Think sparkle, mirror guard, chopper middle pup, and super distortions for the bridge and neck.
    Scotty there is still Silo love!!! Thanx for the insight.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the info so far! It's a tough choice, though.
    So technically it would be possible to have a Special and change the pickguard to HSH and vice versa. I'm just wondering about the 'sweet spot'. This is basically your neck pick-up beneath the 24th fret position and having it on the node where the strings vibrate on the second octave?

What would be a decent price for a new Silhouette/Special in Europe? There's one I could buy for 2.300€. You hardly find them secondhand, and I would preferably want another color ... Thanks
    Last edited by furor; 07-01-2020 at 02:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by furor View Post
    Thanks for all the info so far! It's a tough choice, though.
    So technically it would be possible to have a Special and change the pickguard to HSH and vice versa. I'm just wondering about the 'sweet spot'. This is basically your neck pick-up beneath the 24th fret position and having it on the node where the strings vibrate on the second octave?

What would be a decent price for a new Silhouette/Special in Europe? There's one I could buy for 2.300€. You hardly find them secondhand, and I would preferably want another color ... Thanks
    Actually you could not get a 22-fret Silo Special and add an HSH pickguard unless you want to rout the body; they are routed for a neck single coil, middle single coil, and a bridge humbucker. Unless EBMM has changed the routing on the 24-fret Silhouette recently they are basically routed for 3 humbuckers (not quite a full "swimming pool" or open rout).

User Info Menu

Great news!!!
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

never say never
    Where can you find BFRs?

User Info Menu

They haven't dropped yet. but sounds like July 23'ish.

Ball Family Reserve | Ernie Ball Music Man

I'm sure they will a great selection!!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Oh I see! Thanks!
    But only available through a US shop, it seems?

User Info Menu

Oh man, I didn’t need to hear that. Looking forward to seeing the BFR Silo at the end of the month.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black HH Albert Lee (DOB 12.01.2009)
    Honey Roasted Axis - Quilt (DOB 09.20.2012)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 02.03.2014)

User Info Menu

What's the average/a reasonable price a Silhouette goes for secondhand? I guess 840$ is quite cheap?

User Info Menu

What's the average/a reasonable price a Silhouette goes for secondhand? I guess 840$ is quite cheap?
    Like anything it depends on the shape and whether it works out for you. $840, sounds like a good deal to me.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

I got my Silo Special for $850 off of reverb.com. Also got a '94 Silo hardtail from there...but it was a lot more money, as it was a custom designed one. They're reasonably priced instruments...especially when you consider the quality you're getting.

I just posted this in another thread. You might find it interesting:

Swapping Parts...

I'm totally in love with EBMM guitars.
    Last edited by gitapik; 07-08-2020 at 12:16 PM.
    G.A.S. = Git A Sound

User Info Menu

Excellent! I wonder if this will be anything like the pic I saw from namm awhile back.