Mariposa Green

Thread: Swapping Parts...

User Info Menu

Swapping Parts...

Is any one else swapping parts on their EBMM/SbMM guitars? I find myself either making swaps or really wanting to lately. I have swapped necks between SbMM LK100 guitars and even refinished one. But currently, I have both an MM Albert Lee (2017) with Rosewood neck and an LIII (2019) with a super flamey roasted maple neck that I want to swap. The AL neck is much more "59-ish" and I really am drawn to it. The LIII body is more "my thing", (I have 3 of each). I might even move the AL humbuckers to a 2017 SbMM "Luke" that already has stock Dimarzio Transition humbuckers because the AL humbuckers are better...

That leaves me "parting out" the AL body, but I am already selling one of my SbMM Lk100's as a project on Reverb - the refinished one. I just don't want to finish reassembling it now.

Just asking, I will do what I will do, but it would be interesting to know what others are up to...
    2019 EBMM LIII - Butter Cream MEGA FLAME NECK
    2017 EBMM Albert Lee - Black/Rosewood neck
    2019 SBMM Albert Lee - Trans Walnut - HSH Mod - Dimarzio Dark Matter 2 pickups
    2017 LK100D LUKE - Black Metallic - Stock
    2019 LK100 LUKE - Refin to Gunmetal Metallic (originally Hazel Burst) - HSH Mod - SBMM Transition clones/Dimarzio DM2 SC

User Info Menu

Very interesting...the view to comment ratio on this site crazy low across all posts.
    2019 LK100 LUKE - Refin to Gunmetal Metallic (originally Hazel Burst) - HSH Mod - SBMM Transition clones/Dimarzio DM2 SC

User Info Menu

I don't think a lot of people have swapped major components - it's not something that comes up a lot.

I've done a bit. Years back I bought a bunch of Axis Sport necks. Put one on a Luke for a while- that was a blast. (The Luke and Axis have the same size neck pocket so that works - the AL has a larger pocket than the Luke, so you might have an issue there.)

Also swapped AL necks with another forumite- my maple for his solid RW. So I've got an ash SSS with a solid RW neck, it's pretty sweet.

User Info Menu

I dont swap out parts. EBMM guitars are great straight out of the box.
    2010 Axis Super Sport BFR Bahama Blue Burst Rosewood fretboard

You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kingdoublecut View Post
    Very interesting...the view to comment ratio on this site crazy low across all posts.
    Sometimes a few comments can clear a thread up, no need for lots of replies. Some threads attract more comments than others. All part of forum life.
    2010 Axis Super Sport BFR Bahama Blue Burst Rosewood fretboard

You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

User Info Menu

there are some swappers! on the forum, I remember this thread from a while back,

Interchangeable Necks
    Steve Morse Y2D NB - G71869.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    I don't think a lot of people have swapped major components - it's not something that comes up a lot.

I've done a bit. Years back I bought a bunch of Axis Sport necks. Put one on a Luke for a while- that was a blast. (The Luke and Axis have the same size neck pocket so that works - the AL has a larger pocket than the Luke, so you might have an issue there.)

Also swapped AL necks with another forumite- my maple for his solid RW. So I've got an ash SSS with a solid RW neck, it's pretty sweet.
    Beej, you forgot to mention that said forumite was Fred, super guy.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Never really considered it, and you'll most likely find that most people here are the same way. Franken-guitars are rarely looked on favorably, and while it's your choice, if you ever choose to sell a guitar, expect to get far less due to it being non-original. If I want a luke III, I want a luke III neck on it. The body, the neck profile, the fretboard were all designed to work as a unit. I tend to think that designers know more about making a good total package guitar than I do.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Beej, you forgot to mention that said forumite was Fred, super guy.

Glenn |B)
    For sure! I just didn't think he knew who Fred was.

User Info Menu

I have a Silo Special HSS and a custom ordered ’94 Silo hardtail. Got both used. The body and neck on both guitars might just as well have been fitted exclusively for me. I love those two guitars.

But I have made some changes, electronically, to the Special and may do something with the Silo, as well.

The Silent Circuit went out on me in the Special. And I was surprised to find that nobody here in NYC could repair it for me. It had to be shipped out to California. No warranty.

I considered sending it, but have to admit that, as effective as that Silent Circuit is (it really is good); I had a problem with a dead spot between the 2 and 3 toggle positions which can sometimes get problematic when gigging and making a quick tonal change. It’s part of the design…so something you just have to learn to live with and “get around”.

So I set it up as a standard 5 way switch (no super switch), instead. Put an Area 61 and 58 into the neck and middle, respectively, and put a Tyler “Secret” humbucker in the bridge.

The guitar sounds fantastic and there’s no longer a dead spot. My only beef is that the 2 position has a bit of hum to it. This wouldn’t be an issue if I’d used a DiMarzio humbucker…which I may do in the future. But I love the way this Tyler balances with the singles…so I’m sticking with it for now. Could’ve wired it differently as is, but the *quack* wouldn’t have been near as good that way. I love this guitar. It’s my goto.

The ’94 Silo came with a custom finish (translucent butterscotch) and a Tele config faceplate. Barden’s “Danny Gatton” pickups. It’s a wonderful sound but I’m not as much of a Tele guy as Strat and LP…so I got an HSH and HHH faceplate and am considering outfitting one or the other (probably the HSH) and doing a swap. But not quite ready to do it. I really want to do all I can to see if I can find that sweet spot with the rig as is. Don’t think I quite have that Tele spank sound in my system, yet, and it might be a nice feel and technique to develop.

So, yes: I’ll make changes to the electronics of my MMs. Don’t feel the need to do anything else, though. Beautifully built guitars.
    G.A.S. = Git A Sound

User Info Menu

Wasn't aware of the neck pocket difference - hadn't taken any measurements yet. I find the thicker RW neck much more comfortable. I would love to swap my flamey LIII neck for a thicker RW LIII neck if that is allowed for a newby like me. Here is a pic from the original Reverb ad. My AL is approx. .875" at the first fret and my LIII is approx. .75".

I have the LIII listed on Reverb right now but would sell the AL instead if I could get a thicker RW neck for the LIII.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swapping Parts...-liii-jpg  

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kingdoublecut View Post
    Wasn't aware of the neck pocket difference - hadn't taken any measurements yet. I find the thicker RW neck much more comfortable. I would love to swap my flamey LIII neck for a thicker RW LIII neck if that is allowed for a newby like me. Here is a pic from the original Reverb ad. My AL is approx. .875" at the first fret and my LIII is approx. .75".

I have the LIII listed on Reverb right now but would sell the AL instead if I could get a thicker RW neck for the LIII.
    How funny, I came back to the forums to ask if anyone had ever bought a neck from EBMM because I have a LIII with a rosewood neck that I wish was a roasted maple.

DM me if you're interested in a neck swap!