Straps 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum - Silhouette Special Question

User Info Menu

New to the Forum - Silhouette Special Question

Hello all. I purchased a used Silhouette Special off Reverb that gets in tomorrow, and while I've been waiting, I've been pouring through the forums trying to learn all I can about them. I've owned various Fenders, Gibsons, Hamers, Heritages, PRSs, G&Ls, Charvels, Jacksons, and a Shishkov over the years, but never an EBMM. I've always enjoyed the ones I've picked up and thought it would be fun to have one around to add to my ever-changing line-up of gigging guitars. Currently, I mostly play on Jacksons and Gibsons.

I had a quick question about the Silo Special. I see they were changing around the hardware a bit in the mid 90s, and as near as I can tell from the pictures, this one has a six point vibrato bridge but has Schaller locking tuners. From reading here, it seems they should be Grovers, but looking at the pics of the guitar, they definitely seem to be Schallers. The odd thing is that if these weren't factory, I would expect there to be so screw holes left from the Grover pattern, yet I don't see any. Is it possible that some were coming out of the factory in late 96 that still had the Wilkinson bridge but already had Schaller tuners? The serial checks out as the right model, year, and color, so I have no reason to believe anything nefarious is going down as far as how the seller is representing the guitar. But it does seem a bit out of the ordinary.

User Info Menu

Anythings possible - I supposed it's possible the original neck with Grover tuners was damaged and replaced under warranty by one with the Schaller tuners. That is something you could check out through the serial number. Like you I thought it was only Grover/Wilkinson, then only Schaller/EBMM 2-post.

User Info Menu

I have an Albert Lee from that era that came with a factory Wilkinson bridge and Schaller tuners, so it is possible they are stock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by klaveguitars View Post
    I have an Albert Lee from that era that came with a factory Wilkinson bridge and Schaller tuners, so it is possible they are stock.
    That makes total sense that there would be a transition period where you could have both the Wilkinson bridge and the Schaller tuners (or vice versa) - it would depend on which part they ran out of first between the Grover tuners and the Wilkinson bridges.

User Info Menu

I've got in my hands now. Lot of guitar for the money for sure! Seems the Schallers are factory.

It's got a covered bucker in the bridge, so I guess when I clean the thing up more, I'll see what it is. Sounds good though, but no idea if that was even a factory option.

User Info Menu

Welcome, Silo special are great guitars!!!!

But it doesn't exist without picture .

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Lol! Good point!

New to the Forum - Silhouette Special Question-ebmm-jpg
    Last edited by lucsulla; 07-28-2020 at 05:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lucsulla View Post
    Lol! Good point!

Very nice congrats, but remember green guitars don't sell, hahahahaha.

Don't forget to add it to the Silo thread as well.

Show me your Silo!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Lol! Good point!

Nice one - congrats! Sounds like this is a "transition" piece with the Wilkinson trem and the Schaller tuners.

Let us know what the humbucker is when you get the chance to open it up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Very nice congrats, but remember green guitars don't sell, hahahahaha.
    I STILL regret not going for the Sparkle Green PDN run. I really miss the PDN runs. They weren't as off the wall as the BFR runs, and were definitely more economical.

One of these days, I will have a green guitar or bass.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

OK, someone has to explain the inside green joke and the PDN thing. And how many guitar forums are you on, Tbone? haha

User Info Menu

OK, someone has to explain the inside green joke and the PDN thing. And how many guitar forums are you on, Tbone? haha
    So the Green guitar this is something that Big Poppa (Sterling Ball) said years ago about how "Green guitars don't sell". But the Dargie Delight 1, was a great seller, it was like the pre-BFR.

There's another standing joke around here, when you see an awesome top, the comment is "OMG that top SUCKS!!!". EBMM made up some shirts years ago for a thing they had. I still have my shirt somewhere.

Welcome.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    I STILL regret not going for the Sparkle Green PDN run. I really miss the PDN runs. They weren't as off the wall as the BFR runs, and were definitely more economical.

One of these days, I will have a green guitar or bass.
    Tbone, I agree it was a great run, the same with the Cardinal red, I just never had the funds .

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

New to the Forum - Silhouette Special Question-ebmm-jpg[/QUOTE]

Nice looking Silo, diggin the green! Welcome to the forum.

Is this the one that had some funky pinstripe action going on?
    1959 Gibson Melody Maker
    Vintage Sunburst
    1986 MIJ Squier Tele Blonde
    1994 PRS McCarty Tortoise Shell
    2016 EBMM Cutlass Black
    2018 Warmoth Tele Purple Quilt/Ash Rosewood Neck Ebony Board

User Info Menu

If it did, it was before I got it.