Strap Blocks

Thread: 2001 Axis Super Sport MM-90 body wood

User Info Menu

2001 Axis Super Sport MM-90 body wood

Hi all,

I know this has been covered, but I've seen conflicting answers. My question is simply: What body wood was used on the 2001 Axis Super Sport w/MM-90 pickups? Just picked one up off Reverb, and like it a lot.

I am fairly certain that the humbucking versions have basswood with maple top, and have been told that it's the same for the MM-90 versions, but I've also seen it claimed that those have an ash body (w/maple top). Which is correct? Is this indicated in the build code?

It's quite a bright, snappy guitar, which would suggest ash, but a thick maple top has those characteristics as well.

Steve

User Info Menu

Congrats, love those pickups. So the Axis Sport had an ash body. But to the best of my knowledge the ASS has always had a basswood body. The wood didn't change because of the pickup type.

This the one?

Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport MM90. P90s! USA! Free | Reverb

If so, nice snag.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

How do the MM90s compare to the standard G-brand P90s? I keep getting urges to pick up something with MM90s.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Hello and welcome aboard

If I remember well, Steve is correct : the ASS MM90 has an ash body.
    Besides, the factory string gauges are 10-46 (and 9-42 for the other ASS)

User Info Menu

Archive.org gives us the confirmation :
    https://web.archive.org/web/20040603...axissuper.html

Wood Basswood with bookmatched figured maple top - (Humbucking Pickups) or ash with bookmatched figured maple top (MM90 Pickups)

User Info Menu

Damn, I stand completely corrected. Good info here.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Congrats, love those pickups. So the Axis Sport had an ash body. But to the best of my knowledge the ASS has always had a basswood body. The wood didn't change because of the pickup type.

This the one?

Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport MM90. P90s! USA! Free | Reverb

If so, nice snag.

Glenn |B)
    Yes, that's the one! Thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    How do the MM90s compare to the standard G-brand P90s? I keep getting urges to pick up something with MM90s.
    They seem brighter than Gibson-style P-90s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fbecir View Post
    Archive.org gives us the confirmation :
    Wayback Machine

Wood Basswood with bookmatched figured maple top - (Humbucking Pickups) or ash with bookmatched figured maple top (MM90 Pickups)
    Nice snag from the Wayback Machine! So apparently MM customer service is wrong. Either that, or they switched from basswood to ash somewhere between 2001 and 2004. I'll run it by them and confirm one way or the other.

(Edit) CONFIRMED: The body is ash. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by tms9; 07-30-2020 at 07:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Afaik, the MM90s always had ash bodies. They just added the maple top when they went to the Super Sport models.