New banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: NGD - Music Man July 2020 BFR Silhouette Silver Flake Sparkle

  1. #16

    User Info Menu

    I'd love to get one of those Silos. I'm considering selling my 2019 Les Paul Std to help fund it.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    EBMM Artisan Majesty 7 Nero
    EBMM Majesty 6 Arctic Dream
    EBMM Monarchy Majesty 6 Imperial Blue
    EBMM JP6 BFR Solar Burst
    EBMM JP16 6
    EBMM Cutlass SSS Turquoise
    Taylor 414CE
    Mesa Boogie JP2C

  2. #17

    User Info Menu

    Just a quick drop in after playing around with the new Silo for an hour or so, I'm nowhere near finished working out my thoughts on the sounds/pickups, but this is a rock machine, no question there. The guitar itself plays as you'd expect, smooth and perfect.

    So as I mentioned earlier the guitar shipped with a Silhouette switching diagram, was uncertain how that would work with an HHH... turns out it's absolutely not Silo HSH switching, I'm not 100% yet, but I think it's wired like the HHH St. Vincent! If it's not exactly the same it's close. Pos. 1-3 are the bridge, middle and neck only it seems... then a couple different combos in 4 and 5... I did some tapping with my pick but need to dig a little deeper in the next day or two when I have some time, may also reach out to customer support to see if they can ask around and dig up some answers!

    Coming off the ALHH this is going to take some getting used to! Anyway that's it for now, found that interesting figured I'd share.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NGD - Music Man July 2020 BFR Silhouette Silver Flake Sparkle-body-76-jpg  

    Albert Lee HH
    Silhouette BFR July '20
    Stingray BFR Dec '19
    Cutlass SSS
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

  3. #18

    User Info Menu

    Very cool!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

    Click here for my Music Man photo albums


    Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service


  4. #19

    User Info Menu

    Very good looking guitar!!!
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

  5. #20

    User Info Menu

    But I thought the middle pickup was a single coil?? Am I missing something??

    Thanx, Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

  6. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    But I thought the middle pickup was a single coil?? Am I missing something??
    So typically the Silhouette has a DiMarzio custom single coil in the middle and Virtual PAF's on either side of it.

    This BFR has a DiMarzio Chopper instead... which is a hot, dual rail, stacked humbucker. The pickup is made mainly for Strat players who want Humbucking options in an SSS... this guy is matched with the classic Super Distortion in the bridge and Super II in the neck... so it's a really hot guitar literally and figuratively lol

    Albert Lee HH
    Silhouette BFR July '20
    Stingray BFR Dec '19
    Cutlass SSS
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

  7. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobyte View Post
    So typically the Silhouette has a DiMarzio custom single coil in the middle and Virtual PAF's on either side of it.

    This BFR has a DiMarzio Chopper instead... which is a hot, dual rail, stacked humbucker. The pickup is made mainly for Strat players who want Humbucking options in an SSS... this guy is matched with the classic Super Distortion in the bridge and Super II in the neck... so it's a really hot guitar literally and figuratively lol
    Ah ok, didn't realize that. And your right they are hot, Glitter Machines!!!

    Thanx, Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

  8. #23

    User Info Menu

    that is fantastic!!! congratulations!!

    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)


    www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

  9. #24

    User Info Menu

    A buddy of mine has a Chopper T on the bridge position of his tele - that pickup screams and the harmonics are jaw dropping!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

    Click here for my Music Man photo albums


    Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service


  10. #25

    User Info Menu

    MYSTERY SOLVED! (I feel like 70's detective era Batman or something! :P)

    So as always EBMM customer support comes through... the wrong switching diagram was indeed included in my case. I feel like the wrong diagram could have been included in other BFR cases, so I'm going to attach it here for others who grab this guitar and might be asking similar questions!

    Turns out I was not far off, switching is indeed the same as the St Vincent! ie: pos 1-3 are the individual humbuckers and pos 4 and 5 are all three humbuckers and Neck and Bridge humbuckers respectively. The difference being everything is in series on the Silo, pure HHH across the board. The St Vincent uses parallel wiring in pos 4 and 5.

    So there you have it. I will likely think about this a bit but, I plan on keeping this guitar so I may look into adding similar parallel wiring in pos 4 and 5... I need some quack for live stuff. I'll likely do something similar to parallel pos 2 and 3 with the ALHH (outer coils of neck and bridge in parallel and all coils of neck and bridge in parallel).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NGD - Music Man July 2020 BFR Silhouette Silver Flake Sparkle-cfd-silhouette-hsh-bfr-silver-flake-20200116-jpg  

    Albert Lee HH
    Silhouette BFR July '20
    Stingray BFR Dec '19
    Cutlass SSS
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

  11. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobyte View Post
    MYSTERY SOLVED! (I feel like 70's detective era Batman or something! :P)

    So as always EBMM customer support comes through... the wrong switching diagram was indeed included in my case. I feel like the wrong diagram could have been included in other BFR cases, so I'm going to attach it here for others who grab this guitar and might be asking similar questions!

    Turns out I was not far off, switching is indeed the same as the St Vincent! ie: pos 1-3 are the individual humbuckers and pos 4 and 5 are all three humbuckers and Neck and Bridge humbuckers respectively. The difference being everything is in series on the Silo, pure HHH across the board. The St Vincent uses parallel wiring in pos 4 and 5.

    So there you have it. I will likely think about this a bit but, I plan on keeping this guitar so I may look into adding similar parallel wiring in pos 4 and 5... I need some quack for live stuff. I'll likely do something similar to parallel pos 2 and 3 with the ALHH (outer coils of neck and bridge in parallel and all coils of neck and bridge in parallel).
    Wow, how does that Pos 4 and 5 sound (expecially 5)? Is it really all three in series, or the two coils of each humbucker in series for themselves, and all three pickups paralleled?
    2001 Axis Sport HH hardtail maple fretboard burnt apple
    2001 Axis SuperSport HH hardtail maple fretboard translucent gold
    1997 Axis Sport HSS hardtail maple fretboard translucent red (Pro Track in neck and Injector Neck in middle)
    2002 AL MM90 hardtail maple fretboard honeyburst converted to AL 2H (black Dimarzio Customs)

  12. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Wow, how does that Pos 4 and 5 sound (expecially 5)? Is it really all three in series, or the two coils of each humbucker in series for themselves, and all three pickups paralleled?
    The diagram shows Series only on all switches so I guess it's just the pickup itself in all cases... the sound, still trying to decode, but so far pos 4 is a little bassy sounding but has a bit of a quack (I mean "a little bassy" as the Super 2 in the neck is a pretty treble heavy neck pickup), and pos 5 seems to be the most quacky/stratty I guess? Still need to try plugging into some other amps and stuff... will try a newer H&K Black Spirit 200 when I have some time this week!!

    Albert Lee HH
    Silhouette BFR July '20
    Stingray BFR Dec '19
    Cutlass SSS
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

  13. #28

    User Info Menu

    A few in hand images as promised... the colored ones were taken under colored Nanoleaf LED panel lights (with flash to counter the LED lighting and show off the sparkle) to show what stage lighting could do to the guitar... fancy AF really!

    I'm really loving this guitar... makes me very happy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NGD - Music Man July 2020 BFR Silhouette Silver Flake Sparkle-img_2375-jpg   NGD - Music Man July 2020 BFR Silhouette Silver Flake Sparkle-img_2369-jpg   NGD - Music Man July 2020 BFR Silhouette Silver Flake Sparkle-img_2374-jpg   NGD - Music Man July 2020 BFR Silhouette Silver Flake Sparkle-img_2378-jpg   NGD - Music Man July 2020 BFR Silhouette Silver Flake Sparkle-img_2345-jpg  


    Albert Lee HH
    Silhouette BFR July '20
    Stingray BFR Dec '19
    Cutlass SSS
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

  14. #29

    User Info Menu

    Nice man, great shots, congrats again, it really does look awesome and nice to see some Silo love.

    If you don't mind adding them to the Silo Thread?

    Show me your Silo!

    Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

  15. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    If you don't mind adding them to the Silo Thread?

    Show me your Silo!

    Glenn |B)
    I'll get around to it very soon for sure, busy week so far! I'll post some pics I didn't post here as well etc

    Albert Lee HH
    Silhouette BFR July '20
    Stingray BFR Dec '19
    Cutlass SSS
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums