New banner

Thread: Which would you keep? (Luke Content)

User Info Menu

Which would you keep? (Luke Content)

This maybe blasphemous here, but I'm thinking about moving one of my Luke 3's. I have an olive gold full rosewood neck HH and a hazel burst quilt BFR HH. Which would you keep? Would the OG be more valuable later due to the limited run?

User Info Menu

I’d keep the olive gold, principally because i think it’s the more interesting and appealing finish and rosewood necks are lovely
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...tober-22-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

I’m the wrong guy to ask because I have a number of LIIIs. But if you’ve decided to sell, which one do you enjoy playing more? What’s more important to you? Feel? Tone? Looks? Whichever one fits that bill, keep it and sell the other.

If you are wondering about value, do the research on Reverb/eBay. My sense of casually watching LIII values on those sites is that a BFR will typically go for more money than a non-BFR, even if it’s a rare or unavailable color/spec combo. There are always exceptions, of course. Ymmv
    Starry Night LIII HH
    DuBaldo Blue LIII HH
    Bali Burst LIII HH
    some other LIIIs
    25th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Those are both beautiful!
    But if it were me, I'd move them both and get some Albert Lee's...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

I don;t think the Olive gold wiil garner any extra value. It was not a limited edition color, it was a production color for a couple of years.

Personally, much as I like the all rosewood necks, olive gold was not my cuppa tea. I'd keep the Hazel burst.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

I've owned 3 different Olive Gold (long story). I twice made the mistake of selling them,

Before buying n3, I also bought a Hazel Burst BFR and a Bodie Blue "regular line".

They are long gone because they lacked the "magic sweetness" of the rosewood neck.

The Olive Gold is also a rad colours that only gets better when a few "stage lights" ignate it!

PS
    And I'm sorry to differ with Sweat but the Hazel Burst colour was boring as ****! And OG prices are going up! Bought my first one for 1500 € (second hand) in 2014. Below 2000€ would be a bargain now!
    Last edited by Magic Jason; 08-23-2020 at 06:45 AM.
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Sparkle Pink
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Assuming you enjoy playing each one equally, I'd keep the Olive Gold/Rosewood without a second thought. There is something extra special about those models....

EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your input. I've got a Luke 2 that I got in a trade, that was my gateway into EBMM. I'm keeping that one. The Olive Gold needed a bit of TLC when I got it, it's way heavier than the BFR, but that neck is something else. The BFR is pristine so I don't gig with it that often (or at all right now) but it's a joy to play when I pick it up. Decisions, decisions...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silence.speaks View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input. I've got a Luke 2 that I got in a trade, that was my gateway into EBMM. I'm keeping that one. The Olive Gold needed a bit of TLC when I got it, it's way heavier than the BFR, but that neck is something else. The BFR is pristine so I don't gig with it that often (or at all right now) but it's a joy to play when I pick it up. Decisions, decisions...
    At the risk of potentially making it more complicated, couple additional thoughts based on your response:

I hear you on the pristine BFR and gigging. I once had a PRS Custom 22 many years ago and I was not comfortable playing out with it. I got a Standard 22 instead, which actually was more suitable to my ears tonally anyway, and sold the Custom 22. No regrets. (Of course, I love my LIIIs more.)

I also don't like heavy guitars. If the weight bothers you, you might consider getting rid of that one, too, and get another rosewood necked LIII, especially if you don't love the Olive Gold. The rosewood necks are sweet. Back when the LIIIs came standard with the rosewood neck, you could get Olive Gold, Black, and Vintage Sunburst. They come up used from time to time, fairly reasonably priced.
    Starry Night LIII HH
    DuBaldo Blue LIII HH
    Bali Burst LIII HH
    some other LIIIs
    25th Anniversary