Straps 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oddball AL...???

User Info Menu

Oddball AL...???

Just stumbled across this ad....

Music Man Albert Lee w/HC | Tommy's Guitar Shop | Reverb

It appears to be an HH AL, but it's got a maple neck w/ rosewood f/b....
    I'm confused... did any Al's come with this type neck??
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    It appears to be an HH AL, but it's got a maple neck w/ rosewood f/b....
    I'm confused... did any Al's come with this type neck??
    I'd say that while it's technically an ALHH it didn't start it's life that way... It's probably a modded SSS Hardtail.

Albert Lee HH
    Silhouette BFR July '20
    Stingray BFR Dec '19
    Cutlass SSS
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

User Info Menu

Serial number says it started as SSS, rosewood board suggests an artist guitar.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

yeah... I only recall ever seeing all maple or all rosewood necks, but I've likely missed a few LE's that may have come with the rosewood fretboard...???
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

I saw this, came to the same conclusion that DrKev did, but for it to go from an SSS to an HH would suggest that it's been routed. I'd wanna see under that pick guard.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    I saw this, came to the same conclusion that DrKev did, but for it to go from an SSS to an HH would suggest that it's been routed. I'd wanna see under that pick guard.

Glenn |B)
    There is an easy way to know what's under the pickguard... Buy it and let us know.
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Sparkle Pink
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Jason View Post
    There is an easy way to know what's under the pickguard... Buy it and let us know.
    Well it is pretty beat up and unique, but for that price, out of my reach, plus unfortunately I have more than enough guitars.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

My 2006 LE AL has a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. It was the first year that the "great unwashed" could get such a combination as it was previously only available to endorsees.
    Last edited by Spudmurphy; 08-24-2020 at 04:48 AM.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

Just noticed a few other things upon closer inspection-
    1) it's a hard tail but it's string thru body w/ ferrules on the back
    2) it says "Custom Made" on the neck plate
    3) the pots/knobs are closer together than a stock AL

According to the s/n finder, it started life as an SSS. I'm thinking endorsee or LE that's been modded and had a rough life...

If I had any extra $$, I'd buy it just because...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

if it started life as an SSS, there is no cavity for a silent circuit, which should be there when made in 2009
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

Good catch Banjo. It could be an artist piece, hence the neck plate and then the artist decided they wanted an HH instead of an SSS. Would be interesting to know the whole story on it that's for sure.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

Would love to see a picture with the pickguard removed.
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spudmurphy View Post
    Would love to see a picture with the pickguard removed.
    Probably just a bath tub, or close to it...
    The back of that neck is impressive though!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Probably just a bath tub, or close to it...
    Yes, but is it a hack job or was it done well, is the real question.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

Roasted?