BFR Feb 2020
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silo Special Silent Circui: Yes or No?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveMerchant View Post
    So, I took off the pickguard, and the silent circuit unit is there, and everything seems to be connected except the 2 wires that attach to the battery terminals.
    So, to resolder the battery the red wire goes to the positive terminal, yes?
    And does the black wire go to the negative terminal?
    Also check the output jack- it connects the black wire from the battery to ground, once a cable is plugged in. But it sounds like they just disconnected the battery. Anyhow, you'll know right away if it works.

User Info Menu

It didn't work.
    I'll check the output jack.
    But when I checked I heard a crackling pop when I inserted the battery, so I think it's connected, but no hum reduction.
    Maybe it stopped working and that's why the guy disconnected it.
    Might just have to bring it to my tech.
    Last edited by GrooveMerchant; 08-25-2020 at 11:53 AM.

User Info Menu

I would definitely always have the guitar UNplugged when putting the battery in.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    I would definitely always have the guitar UNplugged when putting the battery in.
    I would have too, but I read on another thread that was a way to determine if the unit was working.
    Apparently you get a pop when inserting the battery. I got more of a crackle.

User Info Menu

Sounds promising- it will crackle a bit when it's powered up. If it persists, it's usually a sign that the battery isn't making good contact with the terminals. So either *gently* pry them back with a small screwdriver, or put little cardboard shim between the bottom of the battery and the cover, so that it gets fully inserted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Sounds promising- it will crackle a bit when it's powered up. If it persists, it's usually a sign that the battery isn't making good contact with the terminals. So either *gently* pry them back with a small screwdriver, or put little cardboard shim between the bottom of the battery and the cover, so that it gets fully inserted.
    Thanks.
    And as far as adjusting the trim pot, I'm assuming that clockwise decreases the amount of hum?

User Info Menu

Sort of- there's a point where you'll be reintroducing different hum. Best bet is to set the guitar/pickguard up in playing position and adjust until you find the best spot on the trimmer. Crank up the gain on your amp ... you'll be able to dial it in pretty quickly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Sort of- there's a point where you'll be reintroducing different hum. Best bet is to set the guitar/pickguard up in playing position and adjust until you find the best spot on the trimmer. Crank up the gain on your amp ... you'll be able to dial it in pretty quickly.
    Much appreciated.

User Info Menu

Nice job! So jealous!
    Also be sure to check the output jack. Music Man uses a unique jack to turn the SC on and off.
    Discovered that as I just picked up a 2006 SS where the "tech" couldn't figure it out and had removed everything and replaced all the components and wiring with cheap items. (Hardware store wiring, dime sized no-brand pots, twist-on wire connectors, etc.)
    Luckily I picked up an old body to paint... with ... the entire cuircuit and pickups!
    It was easy to see the differences in every aspect of the wiring and components.
    So that will be a project sometime soon.

BTW: What do you recommend for sticking the SC to the back of a new PG?
    Last edited by Tescot; 10-08-2020 at 09:48 AM.
    Hiking, surfing, motorcycles and music...

Silo20
    1997 Silhouette Special w/ trem
    2006 Silhouette Special Hardtail

User Info Menu

It's not unique- it's a fairly standard technique for disconnecting a circuit. You use a TRS (stereo) jack. When a mono plug connects, it connects the Ring and Ground, completing the circuit and allowing current to flow.

For sticking the SC to a pickguard, I use 3M dual-sided foam, cut into a square. But any kind of double-sided adhesive would work.

User Info Menu

If it winds up not working after properly wired up feel free to drop me a line, I've got new replacement silent circuits in stock.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band