BFR Feb 2020

Thread: What are the most premium(ie expensive), standard(ie neutral) strings for an EBMM?

User Info Menu

What are the most premium(ie expensive), standard(ie neutral) strings for an EBMM?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure about premium, standard, etc. But, I usually use M-Steels, which came on my Cutlass and which I quickly put on my AL HH, I really like these strings. I use Slinkys on my Axis SSs.

I've tried the Paradym (sp?) strings and didn't really bond with them, but that's just my take.

Also, there is a section in this forum for strings, which may be helpful to you.
    Last edited by vic_loher; 09-07-2020 at 05:27 AM.

2018 Axis Super Sport BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2016 Cutlass - Vintage Turquoise
    2016 Albert Lee HH - Trans Walnut
    2016 Axis Super Sport - Trans Gold Quilt
    2018 Fender Silver Sky - Horizon Red
    2005 ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe - Matte Sunburst

Line 6 Helix
    Line 6 Powercab 112 Plus

User Info Menu

My preference is Elixir Nanoweb strings.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

I’ve used Elixir’s but have recently been using RPS Coated titanium by ERnie Ball because I can’t 8s in Elixirs
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...tober-22-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

I stumbled upon StringJoy out of Nashville. Iíve been trying out their Broadways Classic Super Light Gauge (9-40) Pure Nickel strings, and love them (on one of my Axis Tribute guitars). Pure nickel with a round core wire gives you that old school warm tone and shimmer, with a smooth playability. Down side is round core is not as durable as a hexagonal core.

Price does not necessarily correlate to performance. There is a ton of information online about how different metals and core shapes can influence the sound of your guitar and itís specific construction (woods used, etc.), with your pick-ups. Best thing you can do is educate yourself on these differences and trial and error for string materials and gauge preferences for your tone and feel.

Flash

AXIS | 2012 | TRIBUTE | Purple
    AXIS | 2012 | TRIBUTE | Pink
    AXIS | 2012 | TRIBUTE | Green
    AXIS | 2012 | PDN | Honeyburst
    AXIS | 2014 | PDN | BFR | Neptune Blue
    AXIS | 2014 | PDN | MM90 | Neptune Blue

AXIS | 2016 | PDN | Starry Night

SILO | 1996 | Trans Teal | Floyd Rose
    SILO Special | 2012 | PDN | Trem | Honeyburst
    20TH Anny SILO #1 | Hardtail
    20TH Anny SILO #2 | Hardtail

User Info Menu

I use DR strings, the G string actually stays in tune with them so that's an instant win in my book

JP6 Pearl Red.
    JP6 BFR Bahama Blue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    My preference is Elixir Nanoweb strings.
    That is my preference too. 9's

User Info Menu

So, I'm not sure what the original question really means. "Premium" is in the eye of the beholder ... some strings have particular features that make them handy for a given purpose (e.g. RPS strings with the reinforced ball end, coated to prevent corrosion, etc). "Neutral" isn't really a thing with strings, since composition obviously affect their sonic qualities.

This is sort of turning into a "what kind of strings do you like" thread. Personally (and I'm not just saying this b/c this forum is owned by Ernie Ball / Music Man), I'm die hard EB fan. Started with something else, but wound up at EB and have always been happy (Slinkys, Cobalt, and Paradigm on various guitars).

User Info Menu

Super Slinkys for me all the way. Used them for many many years
    2010 Axis Super Sport BFR Bahama Blue Burst Rosewood fretboard

2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard with Slash SD Pups

You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jp6Fanatic View Post
    I use DR strings, the G string actually stays in tune with them so that's an instant win in my book
    All the strings stay in tune... as long as strung on a MM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    ASS BFR, AL HH, Silo

User Info Menu

super slinky 9-42. my finger-sweat kills strings fast so I need to change them pretty often -- don't want to get into fancy strings. love the sound of pure nickel but I can kill a set of those in a week.