VPJR Tuner Launch

Thread: Dealer setup?

User Info Menu

Dealer setup?

Is a dealer setup on a new EBMM more likely to make for a better playing instrument for the buyer than the way it left the factory? I canít decide whether to let them fiddle with it or ask for it to not be altered by them. Thoughts?

User Info Menu

I suggest you receive it with the factory settings and do whatever you want with it on a later stage.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

This ^^^
    Plus, it all depends on who's doing the set up...
    Learning to do the basics yourself is always the best answer. It's not that hard...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

I am learning this is such a personal thing. I own two second hand EBMMs, so I don’t know how they left the factory for sure. With my 2008 JP6, it arrived mint and played like a dream - I couldn’t imagine it could be better with anyone fiddling with it. In fact it never crossed my mind.

With my far newer BFR Cutlass, when I got it, I knew it needed something. I had string buzz in some places and the action seemed high in others. So I took to a local guitar guy who transformed this thing - only subtle adjustments were needed, but boy, it is absolutely my go to guitar now.

So...it depends. I think you just know.

User Info Menu

Thank’s for the thoughts guys. I bought the guitar yesterday as a gift, but like it too much to give away. I’ve already decided to keep it for myself and shop for a gift again not looking at guitars I’ve been lusting over for me. I’m bad at that apparently. So I now have a Red BFR Cutlass. My poor wife.... The things we do to get another guitar in the front door... I might have even tricked myself on this one...
    Last edited by Wildhorse; 09-12-2020 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up

Nice

Btw, jus to be the voice of the flip side, I always get the dealer to do a set up for me, cos Iím gonna have to do it anyone due to playing lights strings than they come with
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...ember-24-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildhorse View Post
    Thank’s for the thoughts guys. I bought the guitar yesterday as a gift, but like it too much to give away. I’ve already decided to keep it for myself and shop for a gift again not looking at guitars I’ve been lusting over for me. I’m bad at that apparently. So I now have a Red BFR Cutlass. My poor wife.... The things we do to get another guitar in the front door... I might have even tricked myself on this one...
    Hahahaha, nice!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

Whoops :-) think you need to post a photo of the guitar in question

User Info Menu

Everyone should learn how to do a basic setup. It's not a hard thing to do. Quite simple really.

User Info Menu

Is a dealer setup on a new EBMM more likely to make for a better playing instrument for the buyer than the way it left the factory? I can’t decide whether to let them fiddle with it or ask for it to not be altered by them. Thoughts?
    Only if I'm doing it!

But seriously, I've been that guy. With many brands, factory setup is a myth, even at top prices. Having a dealer look over it can make sure the guitar is in good playing condition when it hits the back of the UPS truck. With Music Man, in principle the guitars are actually setup when they leave the factory. Yes, the neck relief could change (which will simply require a truss rod adjustment) but nothing else really can or should change on their own. Assuming nobody else gets hold of it first.

Then again maybe the factory setup isn't to your liking. What then?

Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Everyone should learn how to do a basic setup. It's not a hard thing to do. Quite
    simple really.
    True. It's not rocket science, at all. In the absence of an EBMM setup guide, the Fender's strat setup guide is a great place to start for all guitars.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Yep, I’m going to call and decline the setup today. It’s currently scheduled for setup tomorrow morning and then shipping later in the day.. Thanks again guys..
    Last edited by Wildhorse; 09-13-2020 at 08:18 AM.
    Best,
    Bryan

EBMM BFR Cutlass SSS
    G&L Custom Shop ASAT HH
    Fender Clapton Signature Blackie
    Fender American Standard Tele
    Fender Acoustasonic Tele
    Bourgeois JOM Vintage
    Martin Custom Shop HD-28 Vintage
    Martin 00 Deep Body Jeff Tweedy
    RainSong Carbon Fiber Dreadnaught