New banner

Thread: EBMM Luke mystery serial numbers

User Info Menu

EBMM Luke mystery serial numbers

Greetings All,

I acquired a Luke BFR in a trade about 7 years ago. I contacted Ernie Ball before I completed the trade because I had concerns about the guitar's authenticity due to the non-standard serial number and the location of the serial number on the guitar. I sent photos to a rep at EB rep and talked to him about the guitar. He believed that the guitar was legitimate, but had no idea about the serial numbers. He speculated that it may have been an early prototype, but had no way to confirm.

Interestingly, I saw this ad for a Luke prototype, purportedly owned by the man himself. It also has a G-series serial number, except that the serial number is in the normal location:
    Music Man Luke Prototype, Played by Lukather for 6 years, | Reverb

I'm hoping someone might recognize this guitar or have some information about the serial numbers. Any details that could help solve the mystery would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EBMM Luke mystery serial numbers-luke-headstock-jpg   EBMM Luke mystery serial numbers-luke-neck-plate-jpg   EBMM Luke mystery serial numbers-luke-neck-jpg   EBMM Luke mystery serial numbers-luke-neck-pocket-jpg   EBMM Luke mystery serial numbers-luke-body-copy-jpg  

Last edited by RextheWonderDog; 09-21-2020 at 10:06 AM.

User Info Menu

That’s really interesting. Gorgeous Luke!
    ---------------
    Axis SS Semi-Hollow in Diablo Blue
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Cutlass RS in Charging Green
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Great guitar! Nobody here on the forum will be able to tell you anything better than what EBMM have already told you. Personally, I don't recall stamped serial numbers on of a headstock on any guitar made after 1990. So yours is really unusual!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Looking at the guitar you have, it looks like there is finish missing in circles around the screw holes under the plate? Maybe it was a prototype for a no neck-plate joint like you see on Ibanez guitars?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I noticed that as well, but didn't know what to make of it. Thank you for your suggestion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RextheWonderDog View Post
    I noticed that as well, but didn't know what to make of it. Thank you for your suggestion.
    Another thing I noticed: the wood grain the neck cavity. It looks like there is some kind of "tone block" of a different wood in the body.

User Info Menu

Did anyone put serial number into search? It seems to come up with a JP guitar???
    2010 Axis Super Sport BFR Bahama Blue Burst Rosewood fretboard

2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard with Slash SD Pups

You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Another thing I noticed: the wood grain the neck cavity. It looks like there is some kind of "tone block" of a different wood in the body.
    Yes, the tone wood cocktail. Alder body, maple top, mahogany block, slightly wider than the pickups, from the bridge to the neck pocket.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Yes, the tone wood cocktail. Alder body, maple top, mahogany block, slightly wider than the pickups, from the bridge to the neck pocket.
    I guess since it is a BFR, things like that are pretty standard.

I have no doubts that it's a legitimate EBMM, but the question is, what IS it? Definitely not a run of the mill Luke BFR.

User Info Menu

There's always a chance that the original neck plate was damaged and a replacement was put on with no serial.

Cool find!
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    There's always a chance that the original neck plate was damaged and a replacement was put on with no serial.

Cool find!
    I've got an AL with a cracked plate, and CS told me they could send a replacement, but it would have no S/N...
    Balls are Best!!