New Slinkys March 2020

Thread: Are more expensive guitars generally lighter?

User Info Menu

Are more expensive guitars generally lighter?

So - I've got a Silo special which is just the perfect weight for me to lug around
    I've got a Sterling SB14, a budget bass, which is considerably heavier.
    But that's nothing compared with an Epiphone 'black beauty' LP I have just acquired, yes it looks spectacular, but I feel only a young Arnold Schwarze****** would be comfortable with it's weight, though for the price I paid and it's looks I guess there has to be a downside

User Info Menu

There is no correlation between price and weight.

A buddy of mine has a beautiful high dollar Gibson LP which is the heaviest beast I have ever picked up. The second heaviest I have ever lugged is a super cheap Harley Benton telecaster.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Thanks for answering what was probably a silly question - I had thought more expensive body woods might be lighter but clearly this is not the case when the Gibson is made of mahagony and the Silhouette is made of alder.

User Info Menu

Gibson are a lot of things, light isn't one of them :-)
    2010 Axis Super Sport BFR Bahama Blue Burst Rosewood fretboard

2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard with Slash SD Pups

You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie M View Post
    Gibson are a lot of things, light isn't one of them :-)
    The new ones have weight relief !

The weight of a guitar depends on the design (weight relief ? Cutaway ?) and on the type of wood.
    But it's hard to say that lighter = better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fbecir View Post
    The new ones have weight relief !

The weight of a guitar depends on the design (weight relief ? Cutaway ?) and on the type of wood.
    But it's hard to say that lighter = better.
    True but it's equally hard to say heavier = better. The best LP I ever played is my buddy's weight relieved LP. Weighs about the same as my Silo Special (which is heavier than my Cutlass but I bought that Cutlass and not that LP!).
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

All of the above is good info.
    Many moons ago the general belief was that heavier guitars and heavier strings equaled better tone.
    Way too many accomplished players have proven this false.
    I can't stand heavy strings/guitars myself...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    All of the above is good info.
    Many moons ago the general belief was that heavier guitars and heavier strings equaled better tone.
    Way too many accomplished players have proven this false.
    I can't stand heavy strings/guitars myself...
    This Epiphone LP though - $300 and it looks like it should be on display in a heritage guitar museum, it does not measure up sound wise to the Silo but that's not a fair comparison.

User Info Menu

Mrs. Bebop used to buy used Epi LP's like some women buy shoes & purses... so we've had quite a few. Overall, they're usually pretty decent gittars for the money.
    We've customized a few into 'tribute' guitars, and the couple of 'Slash' models we have are just outstanding!

Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

I love that green,

here's mine, I it's got nothing to do with music or playing but I couldn't help salivating over the pearl inlays and gold plated hardware.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are more expensive guitars generally lighter?-win_20200922_02_00_32_pro-jpg