Strap Blocks

Thread: The mysterious "Custom Made" AL...

User Info Menu

The mysterious "Custom Made" AL...

*this is a follow up to my original thread about this guitar - Oddball AL...???

This was listed on Reverb a few weeks ago, and the first thing that caught my eye was the maple neck/rosewood F/B combination. Sparked my curiosity, to say the least.
    Posted about it here (thread link above, lot's of juicy details in that thread...), and contacted the seller, who was a shop in Washington State who had it on consignment for one of their best customers only referred to as "The Collector".
    I wasn't the only curious member here, as it turns out GWD had contacted them as well.
    Wasn't looking to buy, just wanted to know the story.
    During researching the history, Mrs. Bebop (she loves a good mystery...) decided this was a rare opportunity and insisted I pursue obtaining it.
    I negotiated with the shop, and being it was a consignment piece, it was up to the seller. After a few days they lowered the price enough that we sealed the deal.

I confirmed with EBMM customer service that this was custom built for an EBMM artist/endorsee in 2009. As per policy, they won't reveal who *but I would love to know...???
    They were also mystified by the discrepancy of the S/N and the actual build.

Upon delivery and after initial inspection and testing, I removed the aftermarket electronics and installed the Railhammer loaded pickguard I'd been rocking on my original AL (Origin-AL??).
    Now the Mystery AL looks great, sounds great, and plays like butter!
    It's nowhere near pristine...it's road worn and sports plenty of battle scars, interesting yellowing of the finish around the edges and under the pick guard, but oozes mojo...
    A great 'collector' piece!

Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Nice... looks great! Being a Joe Walsh fan I'd just tell myself it was one of his and move on in life lol It had to be someone of some kind of influence tbh as 2009 is a year or so before they were made available for purchase if memory serves! I got my first one in late 2011 (made November 17th, 2010). Pretty sure Blues Saraceno had a couple of custom gold sparkle ALHH's pre-2010, which may have been the reason these even became a thing which EBMM decided to add to their lineup... so it's possible this was similar to those? Who knows... awesome find either way!
    Last edited by Cenobyte; 09-21-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Albert Lee HH
    Silhouette BFR July '20
    Stingray BFR Dec '19
    Cutlass SSS
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

User Info Menu

I’m loving it mate - great score. I need to try those pickups myself at some point. Currently waiting on a set of thornbuckers to try
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...ember-24-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

Nice snag my friend and it looks great, my thought had I snagged it was to get it refinished, but that's me.

Congrats!!!!! Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobyte View Post
    Nice... looks great! Being a Joe Walsh fan I'd just tell myself it was one of his and move on in life lol It had to be someone of some kind of influence tbh as 2009 is a year or so before they were made available for purchase if memory serves! I got my first one in late 2011 (made November 17th, 2010). Pretty sure Blues Saraceno had a couple of custom gold sparkle ALHH's pre-2010, which may have been the reason these even became a thing which EBMM decided to add to their lineup... so it's possible this was similar to those? Who knows... awesome find either way!
    So yes Blues had one, but a forum member and artist had one made as well and it was just after that the AL HH was born. Everyone was hot for it and it made it's way around the web, I'll see if I can locate the thread. I've heard the AL HH is a great seller, and having one I know why .

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Oh man... I've been so busy I forgot about the timeline.
    As this was born in June 2009, y'all reminded me of a thread I started a few years ago...
    History of the Albert Lee model...???

After skimming thru this again, these two stood out to me -
    my new 2-humbucker AL!

COuld there be more torture! YES ALOC TORTURE

...ah, the plot thickens....
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    Oh man... I've been so busy I forgot about the timeline.
    As this was born in June 2009, y'all reminded me of a thread I started a few years ago...
    History of the Albert Lee model...???

After skimming thru this again, these two stood out to me -
    my new 2-humbucker AL!

COuld there be more torture! YES ALOC TORTURE

...ah, the plot thickens....
    This is the one I was thinking of NickDanger, super nice guy and this AL HH was all that!!!

my new 2-humbucker AL!

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

Congratulations, that bird's eye neck looks insane!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

Nice one !!
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

It's mine now...

Very happy with how this turned out...
    Balls are Best!!