2020 StingRay Special colors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Man ruined me - for other guitars

User Info Menu

Music Man ruined me - for other guitars

This is really an appreciation thread. I used to play a Parker Fly Deluxe for 15+ years and loved it. It made it hard to play other guitars, since it was so playable, light, innovative etc. However, I always found the tone lacking.

That got sorted with my JPXI. Same playability (those SS frets and ebony fretboard + flat radius is the closest I've ever gotten to a Parker Fly neck on a 'conventional' guitar), but boatloads of sweet tone. And the craftmanship is insane.

I recently spent a weekend in a pro studio with my band, and though I did cave and played some rythm parts on a Les Paul and Telecaster, the guitars just felt clumsy, awkward and 'ancient'. The JPXI was a joy and delivered versatility and some impressive punch and clarity on distorted sections.

I no longer own the Parker Fly. I have an old JP6 as a backup, but I actually stopped looking at guitar classifieds, an old 'hobby' of mine.

All I'm tempted by now are the newer Majestys....

User Info Menu

Sorry you have caught the EBMM disease. There is no cure :-)
    2010 Axis Super Sport BFR Bahama Blue Burst Rosewood fretboard

2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard with Slash SD Pups

You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

User Info Menu

It’s terminal I’m afraid
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...tober-22-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

I doubt it helps but you are surounded by poor guys with the same condition on this forum!
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Sparkle Pink
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Welcome to the club!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

A mere six months after acquiring my first EBMM, I am on the cusp.

User Info Menu

Totally understand how you feel!
    BTW, the Majesty is about the closest ergonomics & feel to a Parker Fly that I've ever found... (without the annoying 'elbow' in your chest) - you'll love it!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

I bought a used Blue Dawn Axis about 3 months ago...my 4th EBMM arrives Thursday. (2 used Axis, 1 new Luke, and the new one is a used Axis SuperSport).

It's bad. It's so very bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlf599 View Post
    I bought a used Blue Dawn Axis about 3 months ago...my 4th EBMM arrives Thursday. (2 used Axis, 1 new Luke, and the new one is a used Axis SuperSport).

It's bad. It's so very bad.
    It happens till the funds dry up. Congrats on the Blue Dawn Axis, is it an original or a 2007 LE?

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

I went thru a couple of other guitars before finding a Silo special that seems to strike the right balance between build quality, 'standard' versatility and playing comfort, so no longer have any real desire to burn myself on other custom shop guitars. I agree the Petrucci majesty looks like an interesting, possibly mold breaking one if I wanted to truely get in touch with collecting and my credit card companies. The thing the MM does not seems to do is 'retro heritage', so still gassing for a custom shop Gibson, although quite why I want an exact copy of a guitar that was designed 61 years ago I am not quite sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    It happens till the funds dry up. Congrats on the Blue Dawn Axis, is it an original or a 2007 LE?

Glenn |B)
    The Blue Dawn Axis is a 2002...the SuperSport coming Thursday is a 2007 LE Blue Dawn hardtail.

J

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cbc83 View Post
    This is really an appreciation thread. I used to play a Parker Fly Deluxe for 15+ years and loved it. It made it hard to play other guitars, since it was so playable, light, innovative etc. However, I always found the tone lacking.
    That got sorted with my JPXI. Same playability (those SS frets and ebony fretboard + flat radius is the closest I've ever gotten to a Parker Fly neck on a 'conventional' guitar), but boatloads of sweet tone. And the craftmanship is insane.

I recently spent a weekend in a pro studio with my band, and though I did cave and played some rythm parts on a Les Paul and Telecaster, the guitars just felt clumsy, awkward and 'ancient'. The JPXI was a joy and delivered versatility and some impressive punch and clarity on distorted sections.

I no longer own the Parker Fly. I have an old JP6 as a backup, but I actually stopped looking at guitar classifieds, an old 'hobby' of mine.

All I'm tempted by now are the newer Majestys....
    Agreed, my JPXI is my favorite of all my JP's. My 2-JP12's are a close second. Definitely play the Majesty's, my Majesty Arctic Dream is a nice guitar, but I like the Thin 20MM Neck Profile of the JPXI and JP12's way better....
    All my other guitars, from different Companies, just don't compare...
    2005-JP6 RED PEARL
    2012-JPXI BLACK ONYX
    2013-JPXII BALI BURST
    2014-MAJESTY ARCTIC DREAM
    2015-JP15 BLUEBERRY BURST (#57-300)
    2015-JPXII CHERRY SUGAR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie M View Post
    Sorry you have caught the EBMM disease. There is no cure :-)
    Disease? Why, I don't know what on earth you're talking about, Jamie...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post

If you ever feel the need to de-clutter, please let me know, I can help!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post

Love this Jeff lol, nice comeback and what a photo.
    2010 Axis Super Sport BFR Bahama Blue Burst Rosewood fretboard

2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard with Slash SD Pups

You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen